• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question 4K alternative for Yamaha YHT-S400

Powerwing

Standard Member
I currently have a 2012 Philips Full HD TV, 40 inch, 7000-series with Ambilight. Very good set, but I'd like to step onto the 4K train so I'm currently looking at replacing my Philips with a 55 inch 4K TV.

No idea which one yet, but that's not my question here. I also have a Yamaha YHT-S400 virtual surround receiver with sound bar (YHT-S 300 is basically the same but with 2 satellite speakers instead of the sound bar).
It's quite an interesting design, and it works really well. Quality, too is superb when you consider the price.
YHT-S400 - Overview - Sound Bar - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha - Other European Countries

Unfortunately, it only supports 1080p so I guess I'll have to replace that, too. I've got a digital TV HD decoder hooked up to it, and a Playstation 4 Pro at the moment.
It's a shame that Yamaha doesn't produce anything with that form factor anymore because I really like it, with the integrated subwoofer.

I've been looking at other brands and come to the conclusion that my only option would be to have just a sound bar, but with subwoofers integrated. I don't want a sound bar and a separate subwoofer on the floor, wireless or otherwise.

So, long story short : any good sound bars that support 4K and offer decent bass output ?

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
If you’re happy then just keep your current set up. If you get a tv with four hdmi ports then you can connect three other devices to it along with the receiver.

I’d only change if you were adding Dolby Atmos into the mix and even then you’re looking at hundreds of pounds (although you don’t mention budget)

Powerwing

Standard Member
Well, for the TV, I was looking at OLED but really, they're so expensive.
I will be buying a LG 43UK6470PLC for my girlfriend and if it proves to be any good, I might go for a 50 or 55 inch model for myself (there's a 49 inch version of that TV as well, don't see the point when there's a 50 inch model...).
It's definitely no high-end TV but it will be a definite step-up from my 2012 40 inch FHD Philips...

But about my Yamaha : I suppose I could just hook up the HD decoder and the PS4 directly to the TV and connect an optical audio cable from the TV to the receiver ?

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
Yes, you certainly can use optical if all connected to your tv. There’s definitely no need to change the sound side of things if it’s working.

EddyHorn

Well, for the TV, I was looking at OLED but really, they're so expensive.
I will be buying a LG 43UK6470PLC for my girlfriend and if it proves to be any good, I might go for a 50 or 55 inch model for myself (there's a 49 inch version of that TV as well, don't see the point when there's a 50 inch model...).
It's definitely no high-end TV but it will be a definite step-up from my 2012 40 inch FHD Philips...

But about my Yamaha : I suppose I could just hook up the HD decoder and the PS4 directly to the TV and connect an optical audio cable from the TV to the receiver ?

I don't think a TV at that level would be a step up from your current one as it doesn't really do HDR. My opinion (and many others) is that the biggest difference with UHD material over FHD is HDR not the resolution increase. Your current TV is actually brighter at 450cd/m2 compared to 250cd/m2 for the LG.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom