4k & 8k projector. Can you even "see" the pixels? Is it worth it?

mads10000

Novice Member
If you work on a projector 4m wide screen sitting at 4m distance, watching youtube and doing programming can you even see the 4k/8k pixels?

You pay a lot for the extra pixels are they worth it?

Do you have some examples of some great projectors (preferable with horizontal lens shift if not too expensive)?

PS. Assuming most dedicated private consumers are in the 500-1000$ or 1000-2000$ range. If 8k is life-changing maybe 3000$.
(let's not assume I'm a millionaire)

pixel density overview.png

Luminated67

Can’t recall if I also questioned this on here or another forum but I completely agree with you. I’m of the opinion that if 8K has any real benefit it might be for commercial theatres rather the domestic market.

Thatsnotmynaim

Your spreadsheet’s wrong for the 1080 line, a 1080 picture is not square 1080 x 1080 it’s 1080 x 1920, so for 4K being 4k x 2k HD is 2k x 1k, some people refer to HD as 2k, HD has ~2 million pixels not 1 million pixels.. Text should look fine on an HD screen if your pc is up to the job of outputting a native HD picture, it’s when output and display resolutions are not the same that text looks odd...

Thatsnotmynaim

Also if using the PJ for films and PC work, I’d steer away from non AV resolutions, ie buy a HD or UHD PJ, NOT a QHD resolution. A pc can be set to output most AV and PC resolutions, but films only come in AV resolutions 1080 or 4k and you don’t want to convert, 1080 on 4k is fine however is it’s a whole integer different so conversion is easy, ie just double it... :)

IWC Dopplel

I think 8K is totally pointless, even as an idealistic target for watching film.

IWC Dopplel

PS even in 10 years time a good 8k won't be $3,000 in any case

angrybird

having used many 1080p and 4k projectors.

I must admit that 4k makes a good difference, for the screen sizes I used 120"+

hope this help

mads10000

Novice Member

Check this post as well. I’m trying to compare the 0.47 and 0.66 chip to figure out if the 0.66 is worth it.

Top Bottom