Question 4K 60 Hz 8 bit / YCbCr 4:2:0 Good Enough? Acceptable? For a Cheap Price?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by MyNewRig, Jun 13, 2015.

Tags:
  1. MyNewRig

MyNewRig
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    4K 60 Hz 8 bit / YCbCr 4:2:0 Good Enough? Acceptable? For a Cheap Price?

Hey Guys,

I got the LG 49UB820v 4K TV which seems to not have a full HDMI 2.0 Support, it is more like HDMI 1.4a as it can do 4K 60 Hz but it is only limited to 8 bit / YCbCr 4:2:0

If you bring it down to 30 Hz you still only get 8 bit color depth but then you can go up to YCbCr 4:4:4

On 1080p though it supports up to 12 bit YCbCr/RGB 4:4:4

I got the TV for watching TV content, 4K Blu-ray and Gaming ..

The thing is that i got the TV for so little, it was so cheap as it cost me only 638 Euros which is the cheapest 4K TV in the market ever that comes in this size and is from a top-tier manufacturer, due to a weekend price feast promotion, its original price is 760 Euros

Any other 4K TV in the market that supports full HDMI 2.0 with deep color like 8 bit / YCbCr 4:4:4 or 10 bit / YCbCr 4:2:2 is at least double the price of this TV if not much more, the ones i found with full HDMI 2.0 support are 1,200 Euros and above

Question is:

1- Is it worth paying double or more for a higher color depth or chroma subsampling provided by a full HDMI 2.0 and probably a panel that supports these display modes? (do current TV panels support more than 8 bit?)

2- Will my TV be incompatible with future 4K Blu-ray players as i heard they output a 10 bit signal?

I am confused on whether to keep this TV, that i would be getting the 4K experience very cheaply or if i should change it to something really expensive to get full HDMI 2.0 support?

Thanks