4K 3D Blu-ray player compatible with MKV/Dolby true HD/Atmos AC3 H264/265 USB files

Kristen Richards

Novice Member
I have a projector ( Optoma UHD51) which doesn't play the audio on the files I am trying to play, via USB and DNLA streaming. I am trying to play 4K MKV files with AC3 H264/H265 lossless audio files.

Because of this, I now need a 4K 3D blu ray player to bypass the projector and to use as a media player. I will need one with 2 HDMI outputs. One HDMI output for video (straight into the projector) and one HDMI output solely for audio - to the Samsung Dolby Atmos 7.1 soundbar.

I know that there are 4K 3D blu ray players out there that support AC3 H264/H265 audio, but after some research on here, it appears most of them ( Panasonic etc) do not support this via my means of viewing, which is either USB or DNLA /bit steaming. I'm predominantly looking to get Dolby Atmos into my sound bar with these audio files.

Does anyone know of a 4K 3D blu ray player that can process MKV
AC3 H264/H265 audio, BUT doing so via USB or DNLA to obtain Dolby Atmos sound?

Thanks.

mtenga

Distinguished Member
Look to the Cambridge Audio CXUHD, which is still available. Used Oppos appear every now and then as well.

A number of network media streamers now have dual outs. Zappiti is my own personal favourite and will do what you want via SMB or USB but not DLNA.

Last edited:

Kristen Richards

Novice Member
Cheers!

I've had a look at a few things, but feel I need more suggestions to research it more. It's hard finding a device with two HDMI outputs, which is what I need. .

I've briefly looked at Zapitti and that seems the best option for me, so far. The new model the 4K Pro has two outputs! Sadly, it has a very high cost, too! :)

Kristen Richards

Novice Member
Look to the Cambridge Audio CXUHD, which is still available. Used Oppos appear every now and then as well.

A number of network media streamers now have dual outs. Zappiti is my own personal favourite and will do what you want via SMB or USB but not DLNA.
That's a bummer that Zapitti doesn't have DNLA, do you if any of them does? It's not the end or the world though, as USB is still an option..

mtenga

Distinguished Member
Most of the android media players seem to have SMB, USB or NFS as their preferred sharing protocol. The bluray players like Cambridge and Oppo will do DLNA as well.

There are other Zappiti models with dual outs such as the One SE, which I use. Much cheaper than the Pro.

Kristen Richards

Novice Member
I've not tried SMB or NFS before..
I'm very new to this, so I'm leaning as I go along. I'll have to look into how SMB and NFS works..
I did set up DNLA, so had some success with that! Although I had problems identifying what location to put the film files on my computer..

Yes, I have now seen the Zappiti One Se! It's much much cheaper than the Pro. If I'm going to get one, I think it will be that. It seems to have what I need. I just want to research more, to see what other options may be available..It all seems quite limiting, though.

You finding the One Se good for what you want? I guess it's good for 3D SBS files?

mtenga

Distinguished Member
SMB, or SAMBA as they call it, is built into Windows. If you have a Windows PC it is as simple as setting up a share and then the media players will see that. NFS is a bit more complicated to setup but some consider it superior for the purpose of sharing.

I don't have a 3D TV anymore but it used to work fine.

Kristen Richards

Novice Member
I've not heard of it, before. But thanks I'll look into it when I get my media device! If it's similar to DNLA ( which it sounds like it is), the that will be great, it can just replace the DNLA sharing option..
I do have a Windows PC - HP Touchsmart, so I'm sure it will be fine. I'll look into both..

Thanks, that sounds positive. My projector is 3D and apparently has the 3D XL adapter built in, so it can merge the SBS picture, just wanted to make sure the Zappiti wouldn't have issues sending these SBS files. I know that the media source ( Zappiti) will have to have the resolution changed to 1080p, for the projector to identify the 3D files..

mtenga

Distinguished Member
One nice little feature of Zappiti is that it has a DLNA server on it, called OpenWRT. So whilst it can't read from other DLNA servers, it can act as one itself. So in theory you could add your hard drive to the Zappiti and use it to serve files to any other device that you might want to use. I've done that successfully in the past. Adding the drive directly to the player takes any potential network issues out of the equation.

Kristen Richards

Novice Member
That's an interesting feature...

I'll probably try to figure out NFS or SAMBA as an option, but might just stick to using a USB or even get a HDD drive to out in it..

Yeah, Network setup and issues are a real ball ache, so it's probably best to go for a direct input!

I had a moment of spontaneity earlier..
I've just purchased a
Zappiti One SE! It should be arriving, tomorrow!
Perhaps I'll go Pro at a leter date, when I'm feeling more flush! HDR10 / Dolby Vision are a bit new, so perhaps the Pro will have an update on that in the future? But I can hold on for that..

At least now from tomorrow, I'll be able to watch 4K and 3D films with audio on my projector! :)

I was told that the Nexflix app only allows for 720p viewing! It's not the end of the world as I don't use it at the moment, it's just more hurdles to overcome when I do getting into Netflix 4K and other platforms in the future..

My projector has Netflix and others on its media player, but as we know I ca only get stereo sound from that...Perhaps I'll try an optical at some point..

mtenga

Distinguished Member
Congrats on your new purchase, I hope it works out for you as well as it has for me.

This current Realtek chipset will never support HDR10+ or DV and we can look to next year for android streamers that will do that. However, any of those rips should still play in HDR.

Kristen Richards

Novice Member
Thanks. All I wanted to do was to watch UHD and 3D films with Dolby Atmos, and it's taken me over a month to try and resolve this issue! Anything else now, is a bonus..
Thanks for your input, it's really helped me get over this frustrating hurdle!

That's a shame, and perhaps I was getting too ahead of myself. I'm happy with the picture as it is, anyway. My Optoma UHD51A has a fantastic UHD picture with the HDR rips, so I'm not complaining...

I'll just try and keep abreast of what developments there are with the projectors and media players. Perhaps there will be an HR10+ / DV option, somewhere in the future? I ight even exchange for the Pro, when I can?

Let me know if you hear any news on updates on possible DV / HDR10+ etc as I would be interested in knowing! I realise that its still in it's infancy though, so it will just be a waiting game..

mtenga

Distinguished Member
I'll just try and keep abreast of what developments there are with the projectors and media players. Perhaps there will be an HR10+ / DV option, somewhere in the future? I ight even exchange for the Pro, when I can?

Let me know if you hear any news on updates on possible DV / HDR10+ etc as I would be interested in knowing! I realise that its still in it's infancy though, so it will just be a waiting game..
Only full bluray players like the Oppo or Cambridge Audio can do DV/HDR10+ on rips at the moment. As I said, we can expect media streamers with that sort of functionality next year. The current 1295 chipset that all current Zappiti models are based upon cannot support those formats. There is a fairly active Zappiti thread on this site so it might be worth subscribing to that.

Top Bottom