1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4hours of tv on a dvd

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by dishote2003, Apr 6, 2005.

1. dishote2003

dishote2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello every body, just a simple question, it ts posible to put on a DVD of 4.7GB a movie file of aprox. 3:45 min with extention mpg?
    Thanks

2. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    I think it varies.
    E.g. Harry Potter film at christmas (BBC 1) was about 2GB per hour (I think it was ~5Gb in total so wouldn't fit on a DVD). The Pledge (BBC 2) was about 2.5Gb for 2hrs. Depends on bitrate and stuff (someone more knowledgeable will be able to explain this properly).

3. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't. 2.5 hrs is a max for me as once you get beyond that length, the compression artefacts become noticeable, the picture quality is worse than VHS, especially on fast changing scenes. I always try to record in 1 or two hour modes where possible or if I want longer recordings, use my DVHS deck.

4. dishote2003

dishote2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but it is possible? I mean, can I burn 4 hours of video with extention mpg on a DVD, and if it possible, how can?
    What i did was record a tv program from my tv card on my hard drive. The file is 4.0GB. I read at some place that you can record until 6 hours of video on DVD but i dont have idea how to do it.

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,492
    If you are burning material on to a computer DVD you can use DVD Shrink which will play through a film or recorded TV programs, and look at the places it is best to lower the bit rate and fit it on a DVD.

6. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,392
    You keep mentioning extension mpg, do you mean you have an MPEG1 (VCD standard) file on your computer and you want to burn it onto a DVD?

If so then you can fit about 8 hours of MPEG1 on a 4.7Gb DVDr but the quality isnt that great, wont be much detail and it will be blocky.

If the file you have is under 4.3Gb then it will fit on a DVDr, you just need to burn it using Nero or similar software but whether it will playback on your DVD player is another thing, some will accept raw files while others need properly authored discs.