• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

4gb video too big for 8gb sdhc card, WHY ??

tagg2

Standard Member
:lease:Hello all, hope this is the right place to post. I was hoping you might be able to help me with a video problem, I took some wedding footage with a panosonic sd600 (AVCHD format), couldnt figure out how to edit it so did it with Windoes live movie maker.

The finished file size is 4.19gb but cant save it to a 8gb sd class 10 card, it says it's too big!! .. i went for this option coz i can't fit a file that size onto a disc to play on std dvd Mc (or can i?):facepalm:

2. I guess doing this will mean loss of HD quality ? or, would saving in HD format (an option when saving a finished project in WLM)... oh, originaly saved as 'windows HD' 1920 x 1260..i think, ( i tried to burn it as the ''DVD'' option with windows live movie maker but that wont play on std dvd player or BlueRay) & i still have footage a a project & all original footage.
My pc is running windows 7.
Sorry to go on so, but the honeymoon is now over & i have no video for them to look at, i basicly want to be able to give them 'a disc' or mem card of their wedding that they could band straight into their std dvd/pc.
OR
am i going about it in completely the wrong way!!
Thanks in advance,any suggestions would be most welcome. ....'it's doin me ed in'.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
The card will be formatted FAT32. The FAT filesystem has a single file size limit of 1 byte less than 4GB.

You need a device with a ntfs or EXT file system

tagg2

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply Graham, but that stuff is right over (way over) my head. just wondered what device you were talking about when you say ''you need a device'' etc etc. See, i am no techno.

Thanks a lot for replying anyway.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Thanks for the reply Graham, but that stuff is right over (way over) my head. just wondered what device you were talking about when you say ''you need a device'' etc etc. See, i am no techno.

Thanks a lot for replying anyway.

A USB Hard Disc or a USB flash memory stick for instance.

With regard to your other query. To fit on a DVD in DVD-VIDEO format you need a programme capable of recoding the content to 720 x 576 using mpeg2 compression. There's free software like DVDFlick to do the job available for a PC.

DVD Flick | Free Audio & Video software downloads at SourceForge.net

http://download.cnet.com/DVD-Flick/3000-7970_4-10972785.html

This should hopefully be capable of opening the file you have created. Without knowing what the file contains it's hard to help further.

If you install Medianinfo

MediaInfo

Open the file and switch to the treeview. Export to a text file. Post the text so we can see what you are dealing with.

Last edited:

Bob++

Established Member
Or - to make life simple, you could just re-format the memory card to NTFS. To do that you put it in the reader and open my computer. You will see it there listed as "devices with removable storage."

Make sure you have the right one and right click it. Then chose 'Format' you will get a warning about losing all the files on the card and if that's OK then click OK and chose NTFS as the format.

You will now have a blank card formatted to NTFS that will accept the 4 gig file.

tagg2

Standard Member
Hello there Bob++, i think i might just be able to follow those instructions.
Again my thanks for posting me a reply..

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom