• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

4GB RAM enough? Is this a decent lappy?

yorkshirecath

Established Member
Am looking at this Sony Vaio from John Lewis as they give a 2yr guarantee. Buy Sony Vaio E1511F1EW Laptop, Intel Core i3, 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 640GB, 15.5", White online at JohnLewis.com
Is 4GB RAM enough? Have to admit i don't know what this does lol :laugh:
It's an Intel i3, 2.4ghz, that should be adequate for browsing the www speedily shouldn't it? I only use laptops predominantly for browsing, watching TV like iplayer and using Office. I had a Macbook Pro previously so wouldn't want anything significantly slower.

Is the i5 worth an extra £50? Buy Sony Vaio E1511L1EW Laptop, Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 640GB, 15.5", White online at JohnLewis.com

Thanks!

LJx

Prominent Member
I think they are both seriously overpriced, an i3 laptop is usually in the region of £350 and i5 no more than £100 more. If you have to buy it from John Lewis then the £50 extra for the i5 is not so bad

yorkshirecath

Established Member
Really?? I thought they were a decent price.
What can i get for £350 then that is the same spec?
Thanks

yorkshirecath

Established Member
I'm just going backwards in terms of processor though. Would prefer the Core i think. Plus as a girl i would like it to look half decent lol

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Really?? I thought they were a decent price.

It depends on the quality of all the other stuff like screen and build, certainly there are i3 laptops costing £700 that get good reviews. And of course whether you'll need or want the extra quality instead of more speed or a lower price.

I'm just going backwards in terms of processor though. Would prefer the Core i think.

Don't worry too much about getting stuck on one side or the other of Intel's marketing divisions. The i3-2### series are very similar to the Pentium B9## chips (they're the same chip, just with different bits disabled or running at different speeds). The main difference between them is in the graphics, the onboard graphics on the pentium chip are about half as fast and lack intel quick sync (faster conversion of some video formats).

yorkshirecath

Established Member
The chap I spoke to in PC world said AMD was the way to go for graphics if I wanted it for gaming but I don't really, I just want something to play a few tv program's and something that will whizz round the Internet.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom