• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

4GB Corsair DHX + 4GB Balliistix?

As above i have 4GB f the Corsair XMS2 DHX ram and i want to add a further 4GB. Could i use 4GB of the Crucial ram along side the DHX? they both have the same timings of 4-4-4-12 would it cause any problems?

:confused:

Otori

Standard Member
I think that It will give some problems and windows won't recognize 8gb of ram, if i remember properly the maximum it's 3.6gb

I don't think it's worthy.

Curly99

Distinguished Member
I think that It will give some problems and windows won't recognize 8gb of ram, if i remember properly the maximum it's 3.6gb

I don't think it's worthy.
well 64bit windows will see and use over 4gb in fact iirc it can use 16gb, more if you use Vista ultimate, business. Now to answer the OP's question it would be best if you could use the same maker/spec as matched pair, if you already have the ram try it and see.

Curly

vsmora

NISMO, if all the timings are identical then they should be OK from a speed point of view. However, also check the voltages, as enthusiast RAM normally needs higher voltage than JEDEC standards for the format. If the voltages are different then you may have trouble as I doubt the mainboard can supply different settings per bank.

Having said that, enthusiast RAM can probably also cope better with some overvoltage.

Lord Bunky

I had 8Gb of DDR2 PC6400 GeIL Black Dragon EVO ONE ram (excellent ram). I didnt notice much difference IMO. Maybe because i mostly play games and am not into editing video or anything like that.

Just upgraded to Corsair DDR3 1600Mhz EPP 2.0 SLI. Only got 4Gb and still see no difference. I think for what uses i used it for, 8Gb was overkill.

But if i was you, keep all ram the same make.

Thanks for all the replies guys in the end i just addeed another 2GB of the DHX ram so 6GB as i thought about it and maybe 8GB was a little overkill just for games. Oh and should of added i run vista 64 normally but am running the 64bit Win7 at the momment so it does see all pof the ram.

jetinder

it depends on 2 things :-

1) System timings

2) Voltages

If both have the same timings but the voltage of existing ram is say between 1.8 - 2.3 v and voltage of new ram is say between 2.0 - 2.3 v

Then thats with in tolerance and both rams will run fine.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom