Question 4g Mifi/wifi hub with ethernet port - any availability and experiences ?

jont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am looking for a portable 4g Mifi-type unit for a possible streaming job - need to have an ethernet socket to take data input from Mac or streaming switcher ... I could go completely wifi but wonder if a bit of cable between the two main bits of kit is more stable ?

Only to be used if I can't get on to the venue broadband (or if 4g is faster than the venue broadband !).

Anyone got any recommendations ? ... I guess will be unlocked as might need to drop different SIMs in depending on best network strength if project successful and I end up travelling with the kit ...

Thought might be a bit more knowledge in this forum rather than 'mobile phones' ;-)

TIA

Yep, used to do very similar things. The Netgear unit works very well, but this: Amazon product ASIN B00PVE25KI will provide you with a single box solution.

Venue WiFi is notoriously terrible for streaming due to punitive traffic shaping and QoS. We used to use a 4G router and / or a satellite connection on the limited contention connection (Pre-bookable in 30 minute blocks, expensive but reliable).

If you are streaming have a few different operator's sim cards with you, as some are faster than others. We also used to stick the router outside in a waterproof box and run in a long Cat5e cable. This increased signal strength and speed.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom