4G home broadband

GeorgeStorm

Hi all,
Since realising I've been overpaying for a while since my contract ran out with plusnet, I saw something about 4G home broadband and it caught my interest.

We currently can only get ADSL, and whilst we're overpaying atm, we've been offered £17.99 a month from plusnet to create a new contract with them, with the option to upgrade to fibre when we move for £21.99 I think it was.

There's a sky offer atm for £20 a month for 4g unlimited. 24 month contract which concerned me, but I realised moving house with it is low faff, so as long as we don't move to the middle of nowhere (where normal internet may be an issue as well anyway!) it should be ok.

I think 4G will be much quicker than ADSL in both up/down, potentially slightly slower than fibre down, but much quicker up, and so I'm liking the idea, but thought I'd try and get some other thoughts on the matter.

Thanks

neilball

Are you able to test 4G internet speeds several times a day/different days if the week inside your home at the likely router position to see if there are significant variations?

I’m currently using a 4G setup for remote CCTV at premises without phone line or regular internet and find wide variations in 4G speeds, so there are no guarantees that the speeds you get just now are going to remain stable as they are based on local demand (more users will mean reduced speeds). If you only had very poor ADSL speeds and no option for FTTC/FTTP fibre then it would be worth the gamble. If Sky guarantee a minimum speed that allows you to drop the contract if you fall below that level then it’s worth looking at further too, but be sure to check the small print and be certain to fully check before signing up.

One last thing, also checkin what router they will provide and what functionality it provides. Some 4G router have much more limited functionality compared to even basic ISP-supposed DSL routers, and may not allow you you change to your own router (ie they may not proved the connection details needed to use a 3rd part router).

GeorgeStorm

Yeah I need to have a check to see if there is any kind of minimum guaranteed.
Yeah at the moment we're stuck with meh ADSL, and the future is unknown, I'd expect to be able to get fibre when we move, but not 100% sure, and also no longer sure when we might move, as we had planned to move in the next month or so but covid-19 has kind of mucked up any/all plans we had :D

I'm on a different network, but I'll try to check different parts of the flat/different times, I've definitely noticed a range when trying at different times of the day, but all still miles better than what we have, checked using my OH's phone who is on yet another network which is slower, but still so much better than ADSL/upload much better than fibre with similar download. Haven't tried doing it with the phone on a windowsill/up high or something to try and help with signal.

wine man

I have an EE 4G router (recent purchase). We couldn't get fibre/high speed via phone lines where we live so I took a punt on this option. Our top speed previously was 15/6mbps download, 1.2 upload. We are only about 1k from the nearest EE transmitter and we are now getting 60-90mbps and around 30 upload. It costs £40 pcm for 200GB - we use around 100GB but tip over occasionally.
The main thing is everything works properly now - e.g. our internet radio used to buffer occasionally, it never does it now.
Hope that helps.

GeorgeStorm

I'll have a look cheers.
I have an EE 4G router (recent purchase). We couldn't get fibre/high speed via phone lines where we live so I took a punt on this option. Our top speed previously was 15/6mbps download, 1.2 upload. We are only about 1k from the nearest EE transmitter and we are now getting 60-90mbps and around 30 upload. It costs £40 pcm for 200GB - we use around 100GB but tip over occasionally.
The main thing is everything works properly now - e.g. our internet radio used to buffer occasionally, it never does it now.
Hope that helps.
How comes you went for EE? The 3 deal at £20 pcm for unlimited seems just too good to even consider the others!

As a side note, decided to take a punt on it, and the router arrived today, will have a go at setting it up etc tonight after work and update the thread!

brunation

The 3 deal at £20 pcm for unlimited seems just too good to even consider the others!
Yes, if you got:

60-90mbps and around 30 upload
No, if you got

6-9Mbps and around 3 upload.

I get 10Mbps without an external aerial and 20Mbps when testing it using 3. O2 was double that, EE double it again (both from OpenSignal). Reception matters.

wine man

I was already with EE for mobile & Broadband and they did offer to take it back if I wasn't getting decent results. I'm using a couple of those small stub LTE aerials with the Router on the window sill and always get 2-3 bars (3 being the max). There is an outdoor mast option if you really are out in the sticks & far away from a transmitter. FWIW the 100GB package was £35pcm. The contract is for 18 months, by then we might have a fibre option here so I'll take another look then.

GeorgeStorm

Fair enough!
Well initial testing seems promising, did various speedtests last night and averaged 30-40 down and 20-30 up. Downloaded a game at a consistent 3.5-4.5MB/s.

Just tested on my work laptop on the wifi at the other end of the flat and got 18.5/15 but even then I'd consider that a win so feeling happy so far, next task is probably to try and play around a little with its location.

Now just need to work out how to make it work with my pi-hole.

Last edited: