Question 4G Home Broadband - queries and download limits

agangofgiants

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hopefully someone can help.

I live on a farm and for yonks I've had to put up with awful, inconsistent broadband speed. Max download speed is about 100kbs, which isn't far from dial up. I've contemplated Sat broadband etc. and had it out with BT several times, but enough of that since I spoke to a nice chap at 3 today about 4g broadband.

So...despite every other telecommuncations-related thing being crap where I live 4g is great, around 48 mbps download speed consistently. So this is clearly the answer, however as a heavy internet user, the max data allowance is 40gb a month on the Three mobile network, which is about £24 and includes a 4g modem. Now, they offer an unlimited data package on their phone sim, but the bloke told me that this would be incompatible with a 4g router and if it were compatible Three would block the sim. The guy then went on to tell me this was 'being recorded.' So, is there anyway I can get 4g broadband for my poor little house with unlimited download data? Or is Three the best deal?

Cheers

There are very little options I would say. I have heard of people tricking three's connection into not thinking it's not being used as a home wifi, but Three are pretty hot on this as well. Satellite may be your best option, while it isn't cheap, it would probably work out cheaper than a mobile broadband option.
There is only one mobile 4g unlimited mobile broadband provider, and that is Relish, but that only available in limited areas at the moment (they may roll out further in the future).

Last edited:
Sadly, it doesn't, it works out far more expensive :( I use NordVPN, but assume this will, ultimately, not protect me as such. I'm not looking to bypass anything as such, just get a larger amount of monthly data!

Not that I'm suggesting you break the T's and C's or anything but...

When you tether your 3 phone on 4G on a desktop, 3 works out you're on a desktop by checking your browser user agent string and if it's a desktop as opposed to a mobile browser they block you and tell you tethering is not allowed. Now I'm sure a bit of sensible searching online might find you the info on how to change your user agent string to the one used on your phone.

I know that his used to work because "a mate of mine" got it working a few years ago while he was waiting for his new broadband line to get installed. Might not work now though.

G

I live on a farm and for yonks I've had to put up with awful, inconsistent broadband speed. Max download speed is about 100kbs, which isn't far from dial up. I've contemplated Sat broadband etc. and had it out with BT several times, but enough of that since I spoke to a nice chap at 3 today about 4g broadband.

So...despite every other telecommuncations-related thing being crap where I live 4g is great, around 48 mbps download speed consistently. So this is clearly the answer, however as a heavy internet user, the max data allowance is 40gb a month on the Three mobile network, which is about £24 and includes a 4g modem. Now, they offer an unlimited data package on their phone sim, but the bloke told me that this would be incompatible with a 4g router and if it were compatible Three would block the sim. The guy then went on to tell me this was 'being recorded.' So, is there anyway I can get 4g broadband for my poor little house with unlimited download data? Or is Three the best deal?

Cheers

What was your take regarding his meaning when he mentioned that you were being recorded?

What was your take regarding his meaning when he mentioned that you were being recorded?

How else does one take it? :D "It will work somehow, but I can't tell you that." But Google reveals nothing. And I know Three monitor tethering.

Go for Sim only and get one of these AC750 Wireless Dual Band 4G LTE Router - TP-Link

The 4G reception is better and you can connect more devices. It also handles wired devices and plenty of more advanced options.

I think the reason they offer unlimited on the phones and not the Sim only or 4G packages is that they can traffic shape and page cache phone connections far more successfully than they can on open 4G.

Same goes for the overseas deals. Until recently, these did not apply to data packages, only phones.

Go for Sim only and get one of these AC750 Wireless Dual Band 4G LTE Router - TP-Link

The 4G reception is better and you can connect more devices. It also handles wired devices and plenty of more advanced options.

I think the reason they offer unlimited on the phones and not the Sim only or 4G packages is that they can traffic shape and page cache phone connections far more successfully than they can on open 4G.

Same goes for the overseas deals. Until recently, these did not apply to data packages, only phones.

Would I not run into the same issue? I.E. I can't use the data-only phone sim (with unlimited data) as my main 4G home broadband source? From what I've read on-line Three monitor tethering - which technically this would be? - and block it. Or have I misunderstood?

No, you will need to get a data only sim for mobile broadband, not a phone sim.

I appreciate they limit the monthly bandwidth on these, so maybe get a 12 month PAYG to use towards the end of the month when the contract sim is maxed out? It's a simple job to swap it over.

Cheers

I don't get how you currently get 100kbs a month but are a heavy user. Surely you can't currently be using 40gb a month on your current speed.

interested in a solution here. moving house into a new build that has no fibre nearby!!! joke really as its next door to a business centre. Anyway, I see you can tether 30gb a month on 3, but can you use your phone to run Netflix and screen share to a tv and not be tethering?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom