4G being offered from 11th September 2012

rongood

Everything Everywhere (Orange / T-Mobile) have been given the go ahead to use it's existing bandwidth to launch 4G services and start offering it where available from September 11th

BBC News - Everything Everywhere gets 4G go-ahead from Ofcom
Good news indeed, anyone know how much better it'll be? Looks like Voda has had their nose put out of joint over it, they better move quick :rolleyes: I'm with Voda but not that it will make much difference ATM as i think new phones will be required........Iphone 5??????

ATB

Ron

lee667

I would wait as the 4g is going to be rolled out under their new EE4G brand and not under orange/t-mobile, which i'm guessing will mean cancelling your existing contract with orange/t-mobile and then taking out a new one under EE4G if you want to take advantage of this.

m3gt2

Novice Member
lee667 said:
I would wait as the 4g is going to be rolled out under their new EE4G brand and not under orange/t-mobile, which i'm guessing will mean cancelling your existing contract with orange/t-mobile and then taking out a new one under EE4G if you want to take advantage of this.
Can you really see that happening? I think a lot of people just upgrade as they can't be bothered to look round but if they can't upgrade they may loose customers to other networks if they are all rolled out in a few months

lee667

m3gt2 said:
Can you really see that happening? I think a lot of people just upgrade as they can't be bothered to look round but if they can't upgrade they may loose customers to other networks if they are all rolled out in a few months
I'm hoping you'd be able to move across without that hassle but you never know.

richcandy

Novice Member
Hi

I would guess that they will just let customers move from Orange or T-Mobile over to EE. Would it not cost them money and customers if they made all current T-Mobile and Orange customers be re-credit checked?

I'm told that there currently are no handsets on general sale in the UK that will work on the new EE4G signal. However as the launch is the day before we expect to hear details of the next iPhone, I wonder do they know something that we don't? I guess its also possible that EE4G might be launched as a data only service first rather than for calls.

Going of topic a bit. Whats with the EE grey its just so dull, hope they change that soon.

Alex

richcandy

Novice Member
Nope because apparently the Galaxy S3 is 4G ready :)
on the 1800MHz frequency?

I could be wrong but I was under the impression that there are lots of 4G handset currently available in the UK. However Orange are doing something slightly different by using the 1800MHz frequency and that there were no handsets in the UK that currently can use 1800MHz for 4G.

As I said at the start I could be wrong.:)

lee667

on the 1800MHz frequency?

I could be wrong but I was under the impression that there are lots of 4G handset currently available in the UK. However Orange are doing something slightly different by using the 1800MHz frequency and that there were no handsets in the UK that currently can use 1800MHz for 4G.

As I said at the start I could be wrong.:)
i think there is only 1 true 4g phone in the Uk which is a nokia phone. Proper 4G won't operate at 1800 mhz it will be 800mhz and 2.6 ghz (which will be used for the faster speed, whilst the 800 will be for better coverage). The 1800mhz is also on the existing 2g spectrum.

richcandy

Novice Member
The brand name will be "ee"

4g in 16 cities by the end of 2013

700 ee stores in the UK

There is a list of handsets on the website ee.co.uk

Doesn't look as if there is a list of pricing yet.

jerryq7777

Their websites rubbish but these are the phones you can use.

Jay Z

So should I assume that the 4.1 jellybean update won't include the ability to connect to the 4g network using the LTE bearer on my S3?

lee667

So should I assume that the 4.1 jellybean update won't include the ability to connect to the 4g network using the LTE bearer on my S3?
if it's a UK S3 then no, as they are introducing an S3 LTE version

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
How far will the 4G signal reach to areas outside the cities mentioned? I live across the river from Hull, as the crow flies probably 4 or 5 miles, would there be any chance of the 4G signal being available that far away?

GuitarGuy

I plan on getting the Samsung galaxy note II and hope to be able to use its 4G capability, might have to see if I can import a compatible international model!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020

Trending threads

Latest News

Linn announces Majik DSM digital streamer upgrade
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony announces WH-1000XM4 noise cancelling headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
McIntosh launches C22 Mk V preamp and MC1502 power amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett