49UN71096LB picture settings and Freeview/Freesat channels missing.

Colin Glover

Established Member
Reaction score
So I got the LG mentioned above as a replacement for my Philips 50PUS7505 on which the Freeview apps stopped working. I received 171 Freeview channels plus over well over 500 Freesat channels on the Philips. On the LG I'm getting approx 130 channels for both Freeview and Freesat (130 for Freeview and 230 for Freesat). A big reducton. That disappointing figure was through the satellite connector and aerial. The aerial hadn't been moved at all. As for picture quality, I'm m loving the blacks and contrast levels, but sharpness and brightness has been a serious issue. Soft pictures, very dark picture in all picture modes except Vivid annoy me. I'm sure the brightness in vivid creates the soft images. And lastly, many of the advanced user features in the on screen user manual seem unavailable. Am l doing things wrong? Any help is appreciated.
Col.

Last edited:
Firstly, the Freeview thing. What channels do you think that you are missing? It could well be that the LG has a less sensitive tuner than the Philips and that a manual tuning exercise might restore those missing. Or it could be that you're in an overlap region and the LG picked the strongest TX. What's your postcode? Have you checked the Freeview website to confirm what you should be receiving (not that that's a guarantee).

As for the Freesat, did the Philips definitely support Freesat or did it just have a generic DSAT tuner? If it's the latter, then LG will only show those channels that have a presence on the Freesat EPG not all those FTA channels that it\s possible to view.

Settings-wise, certain settings will only be available on ports like HDMI, or will be absent depending on which picture mode(s) you select. You can tweak the settings to suit, you don't just have to use the defaults, and you can copy your preferences to other inputs.

Upvote 0
The menus are your friends here. The features will vary between LG models. The manual tuning stuff will probably be under a section of the setup menus called Programmes, whilst picture settings will, in all probability, be in a section labelled Picture.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom