Question 49" TV thoughts, Samsung/Sony or wait?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by dodge586, Nov 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. dodge586

dodge586

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Been pondering a new TV for the lounge for some time. Currently have a 42" Sony from approx 4 years ago, it's startup time to being able to change channel has always irritated me massively and I'd like to start moving towards 4k/HDR.

Sound is taken care of by a decent Yamaha amp and 5.1 speaker set up so not a concern for the TV.

I always assumed that my next TV would be an OLED, but I'm kind of tired of waiting for the smaller sizes to appear, FYI 49" is the absolute largest I can go to without it looking really stupid in the room.

I was leaning towards the Samsung QE49Q7F, partly because the other TV's in the house are Samsung and I really like the Tizen OS. Can get this currently from Richer sounds for £1249.

Then I discovered the Sony KDXE9005 which has rave reviews and is just £999.

Then I figured CES is just around the corner and it might be smarter to wait and see what's in the 2018 lineup - fingers crossed for a 49" OLED.

Anyone got any thoughts on any of the above?

2. Grishlol

Grishlol
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me personally, I'm definitely keeping my eye on the KDXE9005. It seems like a great mid-range TV to carry me through the next 3-5 years until all this new tech is a little more established. That being said though, I've decided that it can't hurt to wait until at least after CES to buy it, seeing as how I highly doubt it's gonna stick on the 999 pricetag forever. If you can wait, and want to save ~100 quid, I'd wait. But if you don't mind spending that bit of money, the XE9005 seems like a great choice.

3. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,532
    49" OLEDs are most likely to come in the 2020 range when LG. Display's new production line gets up to speed. We may see one in late 2019, but 2018 seems unlikely.

You could wait until the new models in March/April if you're limited by size instead of budget but they will be more expensive like for like, especially the Samsungs. For comparison the XE90 released at £1300-1400 while the Q7 was a ludicrous £2000.

4. SLS72

SLS72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    The XE90 is better than the Q7 with both SDR and HDR so that's what I'd recommend. The fact its cheaper is just a bonus. I wouldn't make a decision based on smart OS. LG will not have OLEDs any smaller than 55" next year, 2019 at the earliest.

5. dodge586

dodge586

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Useful info... 2020 does seem too long to wait, or is it? there is nothing actually wrong with my current TV!

Maybe I'll wait and see if the Sony falls a bit more after Xmas. I'm just a bit wary as the OS on current Sony is pants, especially with apps, iPlayer is buggy as hell. Hopefully with Android it's all fixed!

6. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,532
    It's only four years old, I definitely wouldn't be considering replacing a TV at that age whatever new tech was available. It's not as if OLED or HDR is going to go anywhere, if you wait then it'll only get better.

7. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,340
    Perhaps consider using an external tuner box? At least then you don't have to worry about slow channel changing, plus you will add good recording functionality and possibility smart features also.