• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

49" or 50" TV - best option with a 100hz refresh rate

braddo111

Hi All,

I'm looking to upgrade my 10yo Samsung 46" LED. Space constraints mean I can only go with 49" or 50".

Main reason for upgrading is I now have a PS4 Pro and am playing Gran Turismo Sport a lot, so I want to be able to take advantage of the 4K gaming potential and therefore I'd like a 100hz refresh rate.

Most bells and whistles aren't required. I don't need smart features, Chromecast etc. I use the TV as a display for my laptop and everything is done thru thru the laptop, aside from gaming on the PS4.

I've considered the Samsung NU8070 series but unfortunately the 49" model only has 50hz refresh rate. Otherwise it would've been perfect.

Other options I've seen on this forum include the Philips PUS7303 (which I think only has 60hz refresh rate), and the Sony XF90 series (too expensive for me).

Any advice/suggestions?

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
Sony XF85/87 series.

If you need wide viewing angles then some LG and Panasonic models have 100hz panels at 49”

braddo111

Hmmm, there's one other requirement I need to mention. I need a TV with a centre based stand, as it needs to sit on a little turntable thing to be able to spin to face different parts of the room. Ie. Models that have little legs at the two bottom corners, are not an option. This precludes the XR85 series Sony models.

Which Panasonic models should I be considering?

I'm so loathe to leave Samsung. Have had Samsung LCD and LED tv's since 2005. They rock. Have always loved them.

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
Just use a universal stand that connects to the vesa holes that are normally used when wall mounting TVs. Available on eBay etc.

Panasonic FX750 though it’s as expensive as the Sony XF90.

blanco77

Hi, looks like I’m a similar boat. A 50” telly can’t be too small imho! I’m looking at Sony KD 49 EX7096 and Panasonic TX 50 EX 700. Both affordable, I’ve owned a Bravia and a Panasonic. I loved my Bravia because it was great and came with a free PS3! It weighed an absolute tonne. I played around with all the menus possible, had it just on max colour, brightness. Sound was good. It got broken along the way , moving house so replaced with a Panasonic (gasp) because I was utterly loyal to Sony prior. So here we are again, the Panasonic is 3000 miles away, do I go back Sony see models, or Panny?

braddo111

Thanks for the feedback and advice!

Upon researching a bit more, it seems that there's not much advantage to be gained from 100hz screens if I'm using a PS4, so I'm now considering 50hz options too.

Any suggestions for ones I should be considering?

blanco77

I’d have a look at those two models mate, see previous. 100hz is always gonna be better for games imo? Screen refresh rate would have something to do with the console also. Then there’s the actual game itself. Its overwhelming, and there are other people on here far wiser than I.

Last edited:

braddo111

I'm pretty much convinced that the NU8000 Samsung is the one for me, although I'm in Germany and the equivalent here is called NU8049 (they have different sku numbers in diff markets).

Good looking set (which is important for the missus) and seems to tick all the boxes. I don't see the benefit in spending more on the Panasonic, Philips or Sony. Unless someone can convince me otherwise and explain the benefits that those models have over the Samsung!

desinho

I’d have a look at those two models mate, see previous. 100hz is always gonna be better for games imo? Screen refresh rate would have something to do with the console also. Then there’s the actual game itself. Its overwhelming, and there are other people on here far wiser than I.
Consoles don't go above 60fps so anything above 60Hz is useless for a PS4. Unless you activate the Motion interpolation which in turn adds a fairly big amount of input lag.
Of course if you unwittingly already had this activated on your old sets and didn't notice anything off you could use it on the new 100Hz sets for a smoother picture.
The 50Hz sets can do 60Hz as well these days (100Hz do 120Hz too)

Last edited:

blanco77

Cool, good to learn, generally why I go on forums. Needing that 100hz for a PS3 even in my case more silly. But you know what its like you want to future proof ones self as much as possible. I think the two sets I personally am looking at are both 50-60 hz so thats fine with me! I thought they were 100hz, but I just checked. Thanks. Hope this is of some use to original thread maker :)

Last edited:

blanco77

I don't see the benefit in spending more on the Panasonic, Philips or Sony. Unless someone can convince me otherwise and explain the benefits that those models have over the Samsung!
Hey there, its good you have your heart set on a particular product. If you are anything like me you'll be trying to read every review on the web to give yourself peace of mind! Assurance of the right decision. Im just going to go with the Sony, even though it plays fewer file types than the Panasonic, Panasonic have way better customer support ive found, although this may change! So many variables :p I've not owned a Samsung TV, but they make good mobiles!

Last edited:

braddo111

Its not so much that my heart is set on something - in fact I think it can be dangerous to approach purchases in that way - its more that the Samsung NU8000 seems like amazing bang for buck and the other options are a few hundred £ more expensive.

I'm now wondering whether there's virtue in waiting a few months to see if the 2019 Samsung models possibly put a 100hz screen into the NU8000 successor. Or whether other brands make giant leaps and start including 100hz panels in there 49/50" offerings. While not necessary for my PS4 gaming, it would be nice to future proof a bit and have the faster refresh rate. Any thoughts on likelihood of 2019 49/50" models incorporating this capability?

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
Very unlikely to be any major developments in the sub 55” market. I can’t see Samsung adding 100hz panels to sub 55” NU8000.

desinho

FX750 seems to be £50-£60 less than the XF90; not to be sniffed-at
But it's also not in the same league when it comes to HDR. The XF90 is easily worth the price difference ...

And Sony will have the XG90 in 49" coming up but in terms of future proofing you will simply want to wait for a set with HDMI 2.1 which most will not have yet in 2019 ...

adnydrum

But it's also not in the same league when it comes to HDR. The XF90 is easily worth the price difference ...

When I had a decent length viewing session with both, (on a quiet weekday) I felt the Sony WAS better, but it was close. Obviously I won't be replacing my 300-odd dvd's and blu-ray's with UHD discs, therefore my only hi-resolution viewing would be Netflix. In that context a £50 saving is a must!

desinho

When I had a decent length viewing session with both, (on a quiet weekday) I felt the Sony WAS better, but it was close. Obviously I won't be replacing my 300-odd dvd's and blu-ray's with UHD discs, therefore my only hi-resolution viewing would be Netflix. In that context a £50 saving is a must!
Yes but we have to factor in gaming on the PS4 Pro here as well. The 49" XF90 does over 800 nits in HDR on the test pattern (10% window) whereas the Panasonic doesn't reach 500.
Personally I quite like the design of the Panasonic but here (in the Netherlands) it is still overpriced and actually more expensive than the Sony XF90 (€899 vs €879; although I think the streetprice can be negotiated a fair bit down on the Panasonic whereas the Sony has already had some big discounts [started at €1699 iirc, Panasonic at €1200/1199]).

Last edited:

malkyvich

So you dont benefit from 100hz with PS4? Or PS4pro?
Main reason Im looking at NU8000 or Sony XF85 i for the 100Hz refresh otherwise I could go a bit cheaper. Am I just as well getting a NU7400 or XF80?

braddo111

I eneded up getting the NU8000 in 55". I removed a door to make it fit. Super happy with it. Yeah you won't get any advantage from the 100Hz refresh rate with a PS4 but you will future proof because the next gen of consoles will likely benefit from having 100hz.

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
The console can output up to 60hz, TVs can then interpolate that up to 120 to smooth motion. Only certain samsung ones can do so without adding lag.

malkyvich

So perhaps the NU7400 at 50hz would be fine rather than nu8000 at 100hz?
Also curiosu to know if the SOny 800/850 series might be better for PS4 and movies? (IPS though)

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
Sorry, I should have been clearer. The 60hz TVs won’t interpolate content.

The Sony models mentioned will have poorer contrast but a slightly better pixel response time so motion may appear better.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom