Question 49" or 50" for corner alcove

HovisB

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, new member here.

Would like to upgrade my 10yo sony bravia 40" for something new and bigger. It will need to go into an alcove that measures ~1150mm wide, so that limits me to 49" or some thinner bezelled 50" TV's.

Main uses will be connected to a HTPC, use as a PC monitor. Youtube, Netflix, iplayer and movies. Most of the content will therefore be 1080p, but would like to future proof a little bit. I have yet to experience a smart TV so I don't know whether that could replace the PC functionality, but I do like being able to browse the internet from it.

Budget is £700, although can be flexible. I'm not too fussy, but would like a better than average picture, blacks to be black and nice contrast ratio for stuff like Blue Planet and Planet earth.

From what I have read so far, forum favourites seem to be:
Panasonic 50EX700
SONY BRAVIA KD49XE70xx
Hisense H50N6800
Samsung 49MU7000

With the Sammy being a fair bit more expensive that the other 3. Worth the extra £200?

Will probably get a soundbar too.

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks

The XE70 in 55" is popular due to it's VA panel, in 49" it's IPS I believe so probably not worth considering if you want a high contrast ratio. The XE90 would be Sony's 49" VA option, but it's a couple of hundred over budget and while it's a very good TV for the money, it's probably not worth it if you're not ready to adopt HDR.

I see, thanks, I'll cross that off the list. How can I tell the panel type, I can't see it in product specifications. Is the Sony 49XE8004 IPS too?

I see, thanks, I'll cross that off the list. How can I tell the panel type, I can't see it in product specifications. Is the Sony 49XE8004 IPS too?

Yes IPS too. The XE90 is the only 49" Sony with a VA panel.

Given its for a corner alcove I would look at the curved Samsung 49MU6200. Should use a nice VA panel and suit your needs within budget admirably.

You can't really future proof with TVs.

You may be able to replace your HTPC with a dedicated box like the Nvidia shield but I doubt you will find any smart TV good enough.

But a curved TV may fit better? That's why I suggested it. Anyhow sticking with flat TVs the Samsung 50MU6100 would also suit.

Or the Philips 50PUS6xxx series.

Or the Hisense 50N6800/Panasonic 50EX700 all pretty much perform the same more or less so whichever is cheapest.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom