Question 49 inch tv recommendation for bedroom

cactuss

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone

For the last 10 years, I have been using a 32 inch Sony KDL-32EX403 tv (1080p) in my bedroom. Usage consists mostly of Netflix and some Bluray / DVD viewing.

Over the last three years, it has become harder for my eyes to read small text (e.g. tv guide), without sitting closer or wearing my glasses.

According to the various guides, considering that I sit 100 inches (8.3 feet) away from the tv, apparently I need a tv that is approx 50 inches in size.

This is a photo of how things look currently.
I am slightly concerned that a 50 inch tv may be too big for me in this setting... but nonetheless, have narrowed things down to three options:

1) Samsung QE49Q80T £799

2) Sony KD49XH8505 £699

3) Sony KD49XH9505 £849

My budget is £700 - so option 2 is affordable.
Option 1 is stretching the budget, but still affordable.
Option 3 I would consider if it is really that much better than the other two options.

I would be grateful for your thoughts.
Also, looking at the photo, would you say that a 49 inch tv is too big?

Definitely the 49XH9505 if you can, its the minimum you will want to go for if you intend to use a Netflix premium plan.

If you aren't fussed about Netflix premium, or you don't intend to use UHD Blu-Rays then the cheaper XH85 is fine.

I wouldn't get the Q80T since it doesn't have the same 120hz panel as the larger sized models.

Definitely the 49XH9505 if you can, its the minimum you will want to go for if you intend to use a Netflix premium plan.

If you aren't fussed about Netflix premium, or you don't intend to use UHD Blu-Rays then the cheaper XH85 is fine.

I wouldn't get the Q80T since it doesn't have the same 120hz panel as the larger sized models.

Thank you for the quick response, it is really appreciated.

Looking at the photo - do you think 49 inches would be too big?

I have used 32 inches for a decade, but I assume my eyes will grow accustomed to a larger screen.

Thank you for the quick response, it is really appreciated.

Looking at the photo - do you think 49 inches would be too big?

I have used 32 inches for a decade, but I assume my eyes will grow accustomed to a larger screen.
Sorry I meant to answer that in my first reply but somehow forgot. I don't think 50" is small at all.

Sorry I meant to answer that in my first reply but somehow forgot. I don't think 50" is small at all.

In order to get the Sony KD49XH9505 , I would need to buy a new cabinet for it to stand on. I need a new cabinet anyway, with a little more storage.

It then got me thinking... if I can stretch my budget, what do you think of the LG OLED48CX6LB compared to the Sony KD49XH9505. I can see that the 48CX is recommended in your very informative guide.

I assume the quality of the LG OLED screen would be much better than the Sony tv? - and worth extra money?
It also seems like it would be a good fit in my room and would be a long term investment (to last at least 5 years+ ).

For lengthy tv viewing binging of boxsets, is there any benefit for your eyes (in terms of lessening fatigue with the LG tv)? There are some articles that promote LG's OLED panels - but not sure whether to believe it as more than marketing hype?

You can buy central stands for any TV that fit the rear wall mounting holes. They are available cheaply on amazon, eBay etc.

Regarding the OLED, most people would agree it will be an all round upgrade compared to the Sony but its a different display technology to LCD, so it offers different things.

In order to get the Sony KD49XH9505 , I would need to buy a new cabinet for it to stand on. I need a new cabinet anyway, with a little more storage.

It then got me thinking... if I can stretch my budget, what do you think of the LG OLED48CX6LB compared to the Sony KD49XH9505. I can see that the 48CX is recommended in your very informative guide.

I assume the quality of the LG OLED screen would be much better than the Sony tv? - and worth extra money?
It also seems like it would be a good fit in my room and would be a long term investment (to last at least 5 years+ ).

For lengthy tv viewing binging of boxsets, is there any benefit for your eyes (in terms of lessening fatigue with the LG tv)? There are some articles that promote LG's OLED panels - but not sure whether to believe it as more than marketing hype?
You are shifting from right to left,... Starting with a max budget of 700 and then going on to a 48 inch oled.. for reason of maybe your eyes..
Then I would advice the Philips 48 inch 935 with the fantastic soundbar !!! The best image, the best sound. And the highest price.. And then you don't need a different cabinet.. So you save money left,.. or right.
Considering size.. I sit on 2.5 meter. And I just upgraded this week from a 28 inch crt sony trinitron of 20 years old to a 55 inch philips 855.
Now, this afternoon I go visit my mother.. for which I bought a 49 inch sony XH8599 (ips) tv. She had a older 32 inch philips lcd tv. So I can say more about the difference next week.
One thing I must say.. You can only see or now the difference with any tv compare to your older one, by getting it at home.. Nothing else can make it clear..
I've been watching the tv-serie "Poldark" last night.. Together with the ambiligth of the philips in a dark livingroom.. I must say... The experience was mind shattering compared to the old setting.. With all the brightness in the different part of the image.. The candles, the darkness. And the ambilight had a part in it.. You go from dark to overall brightness.
And i had the tv in ISF-viewing mode.. In the end I put it in natural and personal mode and than the liveness got an even so,.... how can i say it. I don't know. You have to see it.. But I'll stick to the isf mode because it's so natural bright..
So the best choice is the philips 935. As ou were allready stretching it. But okay, I'm kidding. It will be the best but it's a very farrr stretch in money.. (and picture and SOUND)..
That's why I bought a sony 49 8599 for my mother.. She got a small soundbar from my brother which he had gotten from somewhere so she has a little better sound.

So the best choice is the philips 935. As ou were allready stretching it. But okay, I'm kidding. It will be the best but it's a very farrr stretch in money.. (and picture and SOUND)..
That's why I bought a sony 49 8599 for my mother.. She got a small soundbar from my brother which he had gotten from somewhere so she has a little better sound.

Thank you for those insights. Really helpful :)
Budget was always flexible. £700 was what I thought was reasonable given my lack of knowledge on tv technology (after owning the same 32 inch tv for 10 years). I am willing to stretch it if I see a benefit with OLED, and if it can be another 5-10 year investment.

I will definitely take a look at the Philips 48 inch 935. Thank you for that. I hadn't even considered Philips - but the reviews look very positive!

It's interesting that the LG OLED48CX6LB is more expensive than the 55 inch version.
Now I am thinking if 55 inches is the way to go...

Given your distance, I would seriously look at 55”: way better value and you will get used to the size very quickly.

cut out some cardboard and see what you think: for a 3m distance I would be tempted with 65” or 75”, so confident you will find 55” fine.

Given your distance, I would seriously look at 55”: way better value and you will get used to the size very quickly.

cut out some cardboard and see what you think: for a 3m distance I would be tempted with 65” or 75”, so confident you will find 55” fine.

Thank you. I remember 10 years back, 32 inches seemed too big for me and I got used to it.
Now it feels too small. Definitely considering 55 inches.

Considering that my primary use of the tv will be Netflix HD viewing with lights either off or dimmed, would you suggest 55 inches is better than 49 in this instance.

Last edited:
For movies,. 55 inch is better.. If you only watch big heads on tv.. 49" would be better. But movies are mostly wider shots.. My experience of only 3 days.. First day I was in between.. Maybe,.. 49 would have been good enough. But with movies.. Don't waist more time on the size question.

I think a Q90T or oled would be the quest. Or the sony 950H.. As I was considering between those.. I ended up by just a salesman/shop buying the philips.. 855. Where my first choise was a sony A8h (A85,87,89) because of the sound coming from the screen..

Q90T and sony XH950 have big sound enough for movies.. compared to 49 inch tv's that have too little sound.. so you can save money on a soundbar. The sony 950 has wide stand..

Thank you. I remember 10 years back, 32 inches seemed too big for me and I got used to it.
Now it feels too small. Definitely considering 55 inches.

Considering that my primary use of the tv will be Netflix HD viewing with lights either off or dimmed, would you suggest 55 inches is better than 49 in this instance.

yes I would recommend 55”: both for the size and you will get a better tv for the same/less money.

there is a size chart which you can use to look up distance vs size; showing when HD or UHD is worth it (ie you can see the diff).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom