Question 49 inch best buy?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Spongebob1913, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Spongebob1913

Spongebob1913
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So, I've come here for some sound advice after way too much deliberation! I have purchased a 55 inch Samsung ue55mu7000. It's arrived, and despite my measuring, it's way too big for my living room. It was replacing a 42, which looks small, so I'm going to try and exchange it for a 49/50 inch TV. Like many before me, my question is, what should I buy. I have a budget of around 800 pounds. I play PS4 pro, and do love smart features. Ideally I guess 10 bit panels are important ? (True 10bit?) What should I buy!? Thanks!

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,566
    Games aren't designed for 10-bit SDR so a 10-bit panel isn't important. If you want to maximise picture quality you'd be better off looking for something like HDR hardware but the best buy there tends to be slightly outside your budget, the XE90 at £999.

3. Spongebob1913

Spongebob1913
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for this. V helpful. It's not just games. I love watching nature documentaries, movies and lots else too, still the Sony? Is there anything even remotely comparable for slightly less? Failing that, maybe a price drop in January?

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,480
    Once you start to go lower than the XE90 you take a step down drastically with HDR quality. For SDR stuff though the Panasonic 50EX750 or even last years 50DX802 is a good choice but even at 100-200 cheaper than the Sony they aren't as good value.

Don't get the MU7000 @ 49" as it uses only a 60hz panel compared to the 55" version. Also consider that whilst the TV may seem big, having a larger TV is very much the norm and needed in many cases to notice a difference between UHD and FHD quality content.

5. Spongebob1913

Spongebob1913
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Th
    Thanks! I did look at the Panasonic you mentioned, I have a few 3d Blu-ray discs for my current TV so that caught my eye, but then silly things go against it (massive stand). I may just wait for the Sony then. I have a sony at present. Been very impressed with it.

6. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,480
    Buy your own table-top VESA stand from eBay or Amazon? Seen them as low as £20 online.