Question [49-50"] is 2017 Samsung Qled Q7F still worth it?

fallengt

Standard Member
Looking for new 50" 4k HDR TV for my living room.

I can get Samsung 49" Q7F (2017 model) for reasonable price (£550) not sure if it refurbish or not but seller say it has 1 year warranty. The closest I could get is 2018 samsung qled 49 Q6FN (they're £620), anything else is out of my budget.

Do I get decent HDR from them?(HDR movies and games). Smart features is also important but as long as it's not sluggish and pain in the ass to use like my old 2014 Pana, I could live with it.

Dodgexander

That is a decent deal for the Q7F.

You want to avoid any 49" 2018 models as they don't use 120hz panels anymore + the Q6 range doesn't cut it for decent HDR.

Sony 49" XF9005 would be better value for picture quality but its main downside is its smart TV.

Anything sub 55" now manufactures do not seem to care much about, the best value and best spec TVs are 55" and over.

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
Subject to a returns window I’d be snapping that up. I have the curved one and highly recommend it.

fallengt

Standard Member
Anything sub 55" now manufactures do not seem to care much about, the best value and best spec TVs are 55" and over.

That hit me in the head. While looking for new Tv, reading reviews & forum etc.... I feel like all new TVs suck, either bugs or filled with gimmicky features that don't actually change much ... Not one thread makes me feel comfortable buying anything. Unless you're willing to pay more than 800, you can't have nice thing.

Dodgexander

That hit me in the head. While looking for new Tv, reading reviews & forum etc.... I feel like all new TVs suck, either bugs or filled with gimmicky features that don't actually change much ... Not one thread makes me feel comfortable buying anything. Unless you're willing to pay more than 800, you can't have nice thing.
Well, the advent of new technology, namely HDR has meant less focus on refining bugs and more focus on new features.

But there are still some very good TVs to be found in the higher sizes, despite the bugs. No TV is perfect and if you read into it you will see the worse of all TVs.

Analysis

Banned
I can get Samsung 49" Q7F (2017 model) for reasonable price (£550) not sure if it refurbish or not but seller say it has 1 year warranty.

With a 1 year warranty it's probably a refurb or open box return, if you do decide to buy it don't go in blind and do go and view it in person with it setup otherwise you could end up with a dog.

The only other model you might be able to get close to that price is the XF85 in 49" from 2018 which also has 120hz but that might be a few months away and it's also got Android which isn't great compared to Tizen.

50" EX750 from Panasonic is another to consider if you can find one, another 2017 model with 120hz and about the same HDR performance as the Q7F.

Analysis

Banned
The EX750 doesn’t get near the Q7F for hdr. It’s not nearly as bright.

Depends on the window size and what percentage you are using to test for HDR, rtings.com have got it at 458 cd/m² on a 100% sustained window, the EX750 could hit 500 nits according to the review on here. There's also not much between them when it comes to DCI-P3 and Rec 2020, a few percent. I think though finding a EX750 is going to be pretty hard.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom