49/50" 4K TV <£550

Crofter

Novice Member
Hello,

Our secondary TV in our lads play room just blew its power board after 10 years hard use. This has opened the option to move our trusty living room TV Samsung UE40D7000 to the play room and upgrade in size and quality. Budget is not as great as it used to be, hence looking for something ~£550.

We primarily watch HD content using a pvr or a Blu-ray player fed through a marantz nr1509. Our sofa is positioned directly in front of our current tv ~ 7ft. The tv will be hung on a chimney breast which cannot accommodate a tv greater than 50". I would like to upgrade to a 4k disc player within the next year. We are currently not subscribed to a pay streaming service, but also decent option to have. Neither the pvr or Blu-ray player we have great smart features.

Obviously I would like as a minimum equivalent if not better visual HD performance as our trusty D7000, with then future access to 4k. The units speakers are of no concern, but digital optical out would be ideal to hook up to my amp.

After some research here and on what-hifi I am going back and forth on the following sets, prices taken from Amazon at time of writing:

Samsung UE50RU7400 (..7470 Curry's) £459
Samsung UE49RU8000 £579
Panasonic TX50GX800 (If discounted come black Friday) £649
Hisense H50U7BUK £449

Opinion sought and gratefully received and welcome alternatives.

zeppelino

The U7B is the best option. But if you watch sports then you’ll need to look at the Sony XG83 @ 49”.

Dodgexander

Your main potential boost in picture quality with a new TV will be when you use HDR discs with an UHD Blu-Ray player and for that you really want to target TVs that can display HDR to a better standard than the ones you are considering.

If you want the biggest boost in picture quality, I'd suggest if you can spending money on at least the Sony XG9005 or Samsung Q70R, which we are hoping will get nice discounts come black friday.

If you go for less, then I'd suggest not getting an UHD Blu-Ray player. The Panasonic GX800 will be best out of the TVs you have mentioned at displaying all HDR without issues, but its by no means a TV that is going to "wow" you with HDR movies like the aforementioned Sony and Samsung will.

Crofter

Novice Member
Your main potential boost in picture quality with a new TV will be when you use HDR discs with an UHD Blu-Ray player and for that you really want to target TVs that can display HDR to a better standard than the ones you are considering.

If you want the biggest boost in picture quality, I'd suggest if you can spending money on at least the Sony XG9005 or Samsung Q70R, which we are hoping will get nice discounts come black friday.

If you go for less, then I'd suggest not getting an UHD Blu-Ray player. The Panasonic GX800 will be best out of the TVs you have mentioned at displaying all HDR without issues, but its by no means a TV that is going to "wow" you with HDR movies like the aforementioned Sony and Samsung will.
Hmm, thanks for the feedback, so it looks like if I want another set to last me like the d7000 then I should be looking up a few tiers. The Q70R looks great though needs to come down in the sales. The Sony XG9005 is looking tight on stock so not confident prices will land lower...

Regarding the new HDR wars is there a view on HDR10+ vs Dolby Vision which is more likely to succeed? What happens when you use a competing format on a set not supporting that format?

Finally, are there any deals on 49/50" 2018 sets that would offer decent UHD performance for the price?

My other option is just to buy a 32" HD set to replace the boys burnt out set then save for the future.

Last edited:

zeppelino

In your shoes I’d just get a 32” and save a bit more. March - August is the best time to buy as new models are released.

Dodgexander

Regarding the new HDR wars is there a view on HDR10+ vs Dolby Vision which is more likely to succeed? What happens when you use a competing format on a set not supporting that format?
They will co-exist, it will be like Dolby and DTS sound, not like HDDVD and Blu-Ray.

Which will be more popular? Well its certainly looking like Dolby Vision right now, but HDR10+ has movie companies that are backing it too.

If there are particular movies you like to watch, made by particular companies you can find out what they back already. Companies like 20th century fox and Warner Brothers are releasing discs in both which is good.

Worse case scenario if you use a TV that doesn't support Dolby Vision and you play a disc with Dolby Vision content it will still work in HDR, just using the standard non-dynamic HDR10. Likewise the case if you have a TV that doesn't support HDR10+ and you decide to play a HDR10+ title in the future.

Of course, supporting all formats is better, but once you have a capable TV at displaying HDR it will do an impressive job at displaying even standard HDR, so its not a big problem.

Crofter

Novice Member
They will co-exist, it will be like Dolby and DTS sound, not like HDDVD and Blu-Ray.

Which will be more popular? Well its certainly looking like Dolby Vision right now, but HDR10+ has movie companies that are backing it too.

If there are particular movies you like to watch, made by particular companies you can find out what they back already. Companies like 20th century fox and Warner Brothers are releasing discs in both which is good.

Worse case scenario if you use a TV that doesn't support Dolby Vision and you play a disc with Dolby Vision content it will still work in HDR, just using the standard non-dynamic HDR10. Likewise the case if you have a TV that doesn't support HDR10+ and you decide to play a HDR10+ title in the future.

Of course, supporting all formats is better, but once you have a capable TV at displaying HDR it will do an impressive job at displaying even standard HDR, so its not a big problem.
Thanks Dodge, your feedback and help is very much appreciated. I had a look at the 49Q70R, 50XG9005 and 50GX800 over the weekend, conveniently side by side. To be honest with the content available to screen and some fiddling with settings, i was amazed at how accomplished the panny was to the more expensive sets. The pannys picture looked more uniform and less glaring, more natural. So I am now in a quandary, since my wife likes the idea of ambient mode on the Samsung set but for £300 more! Is it really worth biting the bullet for the Samsung, I don't tend to watch high motion sports, generally hd Freeview content, dvds with kids and hd movies for us adults. With prospect of uhd content in future from disc or live to air/catch-up. As a side note Richer Sounds are guaranteeing vs BF discounts and offer 6 years warranty.

Last edited:

Crofter

Novice Member
In your shoes I’d just get a 32” and save a bit more. March - August is the best time to buy as new models are released.
Appears this is now plan C. Toss up now between 50GX800 (price), 49Q70R and 50XG9005. Though wife likes the ambient mode function on the Samsung....

Dodgexander

You can't compare TVs in the shop. There's too many variables to throw you off.

If you don't use HDR much you could go for the Samusng Q60R which is just as good as the Q70R for SDR content and retains the ambient mode.

The Panasonic GX800 really is a bit of a quandary, it does a lot right but its price is still too high for what you get from the TV. There are cheaper 50" models from Hisense, LG, Samsung and Philips that will do 90% of what it does to the same level and cost less.

The Sony XG9005 is there if you want better picture processing/picture accuracy and want a higher spec TV than the GX800. Given you get a lot more TV for the money than the Panasonic I can wholeheartedly say its worth the extra for someone who is wanting to use HDR content and for it to be impressive when they do use it.

If the Panasonic GX800 gets a healthy price drop it may become more appealing, but I struggle to recommend it on current pricing, it costs over £200 more than comparable spec TVs from other manufacturers.

If you want a balance in price, I'd suggest the Sony XG83 series instead of the Panasonic GX800. Its around the same price and comes with good picture processing, picture accuracy and motion.

Top Bottom