49/50" 4K HDR on a budget - recommendations please

Goofy1314

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, i'm currently in the market for a new TV and this seems like the best website for info/help.

I'm UK based so obviously looking for something that is readily available over here.

I've recently pre-ordered the new Xbox One X which is due out in november and i want a tv that's going to make the most of the 4K/HDR abilities. Ideally looking for a 49" or 50" due to size constraints and distance, 55" at a push.

I generally play in a darkened room and the tv will also be used for watching movies (mainly action/horror type stuff) and sports. I also have Amazon prime so will no doubt take advantage of the 4K content available on there too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, sources will generally be full HD through SkyHD, Xbox gaming and more than likely 4K streaming.
Budget....... at a push i could probably stretch to £800

So far, the one i'm leaning towards is this - Buy LG 49SJ800V LED HDR Super UHD 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 49" with Freeview Play, Ultra Slim Design & Harman / Kardon Soundbar Stand, Silver | John Lewis

Thanks for any help/advice, if any further info is needed in order to assist making a good choice then please feel free to ask.

Cheers, Goof.

What you want doesn't exist yet, the ability of sub-£800 TVs to reproduce HDR is still fairly minimal at this point, many don't even have local dimming systems.

If you already have a good TV then I'd recommend giving it another couple of years before upgrading to allow HDR backlight production to go into full swing and prices to come down.

If you need a new TV anyway then LG is probably not a great choice for your dark room use as it's a lower contrast IPS panel, something like a Panasonic EX700 or maybe a Samsung MU6500 would be a better bet. Although Samsung are using IPS panels in some models this year so I'm not certain of the 49" MU6500. The Hisense H50N6800 is also worth a look.

Hi folks, i'm currently in the market for a new TV and this seems like the best website for info/help.

I'm UK based so obviously looking for something that is readily available over here.

I've recently pre-ordered the new Xbox One X which is due out in november and i want a tv that's going to make the most of the 4K/HDR abilities. Ideally looking for a 49" or 50" due to size constraints and distance, 55" at a push.

I generally play in a darkened room and the tv will also be used for watching movies (mainly action/horror type stuff) and sports. I also have Amazon prime so will no doubt take advantage of the 4K content available on there too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, sources will generally be full HD through SkyHD, Xbox gaming and more than likely 4K streaming.
Budget....... at a push i could probably stretch to £800

So far, the one i'm leaning towards is this - Buy LG 49SJ800V LED HDR Super UHD 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 49" with Freeview Play, Ultra Slim Design & Harman / Kardon Soundbar Stand, Silver | John Lewis

Thanks for any help/advice, if any further info is needed in order to assist making a good choice then please feel free to ask.

Cheers, Goof.

The cheapest capable HDR TV on the market is the Sony XE90, it is currently £1200 at 49". If you want to take advantage of the HDR capabilities of the One X then I would advise waiting until it comes within budget or seeing if you can find a refurb. The LG you linked to above uses an IPS panel (like all LG LCDs) and will offer very poor PQ with both SDR and HDR, particularly in a dark room. Unless wide viewing angles are particularly important I always recommend people avoid LG LCDs.

Guess i may be better saving another few quid then lol. My current tv is a 49" LG fullHD, just a cheap Argos buy as i didn't have much money when the previous Samsung finally gave up the ghost. Ive no real complaints with this tv tbf, just want to experience 4K in all its glory.

So, if i put some more cash away and go for the Sony XE90....... will it blow me away? If i'm spending over a grand on a tv i expect it to the housework, never mind look good :D

Thanks for the replies guys.

UHD is just increased resolution, similar to what HD is to SD but less apparent, for most people HD is already more than better quality..especially at average viewing distances.

The One X is a HDR games console, this is a much bigger step up in wow factor compared to resolution for most people, brighter whites, better contrast and more saturated colours.

So you can get an UHD TV that supports accepting a HDR signal within your budget, but although it is sold with HDR what it does with the signal won't do it must justice. In fact in some cases they do such a bad job its best having HDR off.

So to cut a long story short, if you are only interested in benefiting from the extra resolution of UHD you don't need to spend much, but if you want good quality HDR too, you do need to spend a lot more.

Guess i may be better saving another few quid then lol. My current tv is a 49" LG fullHD, just a cheap Argos buy as i didn't have much money when the previous Samsung finally gave up the ghost. Ive no real complaints with this tv tbf, just want to experience 4K in all its glory.

So, if i put some more cash away and go for the Sony XE90....... will it blow me away? If i'm spending over a grand on a tv i expect it to the housework, never mind look good :D

Thanks for the replies guys.

I probably would have been slightly less critical of LG if I'd known you already had one lol. The difference is huge, particularly in a dark room since IPS panels are unable to produce deep blacks and therefore have very low contrast. I used to have a Sony with an IPS panel and it was awful in a dark room. Given your intended usage for the new TV the Sony XE90 is by far and away your best option, if you got a dark room comparison in somewhere like Richer Sounds then I reckon you would be blown away at how much better the Sony looks.

UHD is just increased resolution, similar to what HD is to SD but less apparent, for most people HD is already more than better quality..especially at average viewing distances.

The One X is a HDR games console, this is a much bigger step up in wow factor compared to resolution for most people, brighter whites, better contrast and more saturated colours.

So you can get an UHD TV that supports accepting a HDR signal within your budget, but although it is sold with HDR what it does with the signal won't do it must justice. In fact in some cases they do such a bad job its best having HDR off.

So to cut a long story short, if you are only interested in benefiting from the extra resolution of UHD you don't need to spend much, but if you want good quality HDR too, you do need to spend a lot more.

Good info, thank you :)

I probably would have been slightly less critical of LG if I'd known you already had one lol. The difference is huge, particularly in a dark room since IPS panels are unable to produce deep blacks and therefore have very low contrast. I used to have a Sony with an IPS panel and it was awful in a dark room. Given your intended usage for the new TV the Sony XE90 is by far and away your best option, if you got a dark room comparison in somewhere like Richer Sounds then I reckon you would be blown away at how much better the Sony looks.

No probs with the LG criticism, i've never owned a top-of-the-line tv so i probably don't realise what i'm missing :D Guess i'll go with the Sony then, probably wait and see if the price drops on bad friday - should have the funds by then!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom