49/50" 120Hz Gaming TV?

gaz847

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am looking to upgrade the tv in my sons bedroom to coincide with the arrival of the new Xbox. Does a 49 or 50 inch 120Hz tv exist? I have tried searching this forum and manufactures websites, but can't find a definitive answer.

If there is not such a tv out there I will probably go with a 55" Q80T.

I’ve been looking myself and the Q80T or 49” LG CX OLED seem to be the best bet. I’ve decided though to wait until the PS5 is actually released to see which TV’s work best with it (plus this year’s TV’s are still pricey).

I’ve been looking myself and the Q80T or 49” LG CX OLED seem to be the best bet. I’ve decided though to wait until the PS5 is actually released to see which TV’s work best with it (plus this year’s TV’s are still pricey).
I was also thinking of the LG OLED (I have the C9 in the lounge and it is awesome), but I would worry about my son getting screen burn, plus I am fortunate to be able to get a hefty discount from Samsung :)

The 49" version of the Q80T is apparently a 60Hz only display, you need the 55" for 120Hz.

You don't need to worry about burn in on an OLED so long as you vary your content and your not playing just one game over and over.

LG have a 49" NANO86 (IPS LCD) that has 120hz HDMI 2.1 support.

I think I am leaning towards the 55Q80T as I can get it for around £700.

Similar situation - looking for one for my son's room ahead of new Xbox - anyone seen anything in the 42/43" range?

Similar situation - looking for one for my son's room ahead of new Xbox - anyone seen anything in the 42/43" range?
Any TV you buy now will be good for gaming, but its certain features, or niceties that you have to look at higher end models for. Most, if not all TVs below 55" are low end models, so they lack things like reduced motion blur, usable HDR and new HDMI 2.1 features like VRR. This doesn't mean they won't be good for gaming, just not as good as higher end models. Because only higher end TVs have good HDR capabilities, cheaper models should be gamed on whilst disabling HDR on the console.

Any TV you buy now will be good for gaming, but its certain features, or niceties that you have to look at higher end models for. Most, if not all TVs below 55" are low end models, so they lack things like reduced motion blur, usable HDR and new HDMI 2.1 features like VRR. This doesn't mean they won't be good for gaming, just not as good as higher end models. Because only higher end TVs have good HDR capabilities, cheaper models should be gamed on whilst disabling HDR on the console.
Dodge, is the 55Q80T a good choice for my needs?

Also looking for similar specs / size. Where is the Q80T £700?

Also looking for similar specs / size. Where is the Q80T £700?
It reads like the poster can access discounts to get at that price?
Costco can have some good deals on TVs so maybe worth a visit (If you qualify for membership)

Thanks - yeah -looked around and just plonked for a Samsung UE43TU8500 for him. Got 20% off via ebay coupon so happy enough with that.

I've said this before many times, but everyone is going mad looking for 120hz TVs with HDMI 2.1 for the next gen consoles. The reality is they will not be putting that out for the vast majority of games. Take the One X for instance, with games like Forza Horizon where it's 4K/30 FPS or FHD/60FPS. Games like that you're going to be seeing 4K 60FPS at best on the new consoles, but as with every new gen devs are going to do what they always do an go for the best looking games.

A 2080Ti can't even hit 120FPS for the majority of current gen games in 4K at very high settings.

Dodge, is the 55Q80T a good choice for my needs?
Yes
I've said this before many times, but everyone is going mad looking for 120hz TVs with HDMI 2.1 for the next gen consoles. The reality is they will not be putting that out for the vast majority of games. Take the One X for instance, with games like Forza Horizon where it's 4K/30 FPS or FHD/60FPS. Games like that you're going to be seeing 4K 60FPS at best on the new consoles, but as with every new gen devs are going to do what they always do an go for the best looking games.

A 2080Ti can't even hit 120FPS for the majority of current gen games in 4K at very high settings.
Not sure if you are the same person who mentioned this before but there's more to HDMI 2.1 and 120hz than simply pumping enough frames.

TVs that have HDMI 2.1 and 120hz panels will support VRR with a wider range. This means that unlike 60hz models, they can use VRR at lower frame rates, and therefore its more beneficial for a smoother experience with titles that will run at only 30fps.

If the feature was only 120hz, without VRR, then your point is valid. But its not.

Yes

Not sure if you are the same person who mentioned this before but there's more to HDMI 2.1 and 120hz than simply pumping enough frames.

TVs that have HDMI 2.1 and 120hz panels will support VRR with a wider range. This means that unlike 60hz models, they can use VRR at lower frame rates, and therefore its more beneficial for a smoother experience with titles that will run at only 30fps.

If the feature was only 120hz, without VRR, then your point is valid. But its not.

I don't think so?

There's no question of the difference VRR makes, I have seen G-Sync in action. The point is, many people specify 120hz specifically, with no mention of VRR, because the likes of Sony have gone around raising expectations that these next gen consoles are going to run games at 120FPS.

There's no question of the difference VRR makes, I have seen G-Sync in action. The point is, many people specify 120hz specifically, with no mention of VRR, because the likes of Sony have gone around raising expectations that these next gen consoles are going to run games at 120FPS.
Indeed, but that is the industry in a nutshell. They already say a lot of games are 4k when they aren't, and half of their TVs they sell with HDR badges on can't display HDR properly.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom