48OLED806, have to turn soundbar off and on again when turn TV on

JDXAV

Established Member
Reaction score
Just got this TV and having some issues with soundbar:

The TV is connected to soundbar by eARC as both devices support this. When we turn the TV on the soundbar turns on and we get a message "switching sound system"; the soundbar reports it is connected but there's no sound.
We have to turn the soundbar off, so the TV resets to built in speakers, then turn it back on... Or manually turn the TV audio to internal then back to HDMI. When we get the message about sound system the second time, now it works.

I originally thought this was an issue with the Philips soundbar I bought with the TV, but just tried with Sony HT-G700 and it's exactly the same.
I'm using a brand new "8k" hdmi cable instead of some random cable I've had 10 years.

Any ideas, is this a known bug or is there some setting I can check? Really frustrating!

Last edited:
Anyone? We continue to have issues. I found some setting on the TV which seems to control if the TV does any processing or phrases it all to the soundbar... Tried that and it seems a bit better but means a half second period of silence everything we start playing something and we still get odd issues where the soundbar seems to change format (Dolby, lpcm, whatever).

Try chaning earc to off rather than automatic. Some people are having issues with earch but ARC seems to work ok.

Try chaning earc to off rather than automatic. Some people are having issues with earch but ARC seems to work ok.
I don't really know the difference. What functionality or features might I lose? Thanks I'll try it out.

I don't really know the difference. What functionality or features might I lose? Thanks I'll try it out.
Earc will allow HD audio to be passed but if your just streaming stuff don't worry it will all pass over Arc

Earc will allow HD audio to be passed but if your just streaming stuff don't worry it will all pass over Arc
Quite a lot of streaming services now include 5.1, Atmos... now I really am not that interested in virtualised 7.1/DTS from a 3.1 soundbar - will I notice any difference at all?

Quite a lot of streaming services now include 5.1, Atmos... now I really am not that interested in virtualised 7.1/DTS from a 3.1 soundbar - will I notice any difference at all?
I believe Atmos from streaming services is sent via Dolby Digital + which will go over Arc. So no you won't notice a difference on streaming services.

I believe Atmos from streaming services is sent via Dolby Digital + which will go over Arc. So no you won't notice a difference on streaming services.
I'm pretty sure my soundbar does show "DD+" which would match that. All a mystery to me but thanks - I will give this a crack.

Is it likely this is a TV software issue, i.e. it might get addressed one day?

I'm pretty sure my soundbar does show "DD+" which would match that. All a mystery to me but thanks - I will give this a crack.

Is it likely this is a TV software issue, i.e. it might get addressed one day?
Yes hopefully it will be addressed. But it may not be your issue try it first and see if the problem stops. It could be a weird communication issue we shall see

Hi,

Did you ever find a solution to this? My 706 does the same with my soundbar as well. Tried everything. Pretty sure it's the crap Philips firmware.

We just find we periodically need to restart the TV... Turn it off at the wall. All kinds of glitches such as WiFi going wrong.
So yeah agree the firmware isn't great. As a TV panel it's gorgeous, but as a platform not so much. Keep meaning to offload all apps onto a Roku/etc and use the TV as a dumb display

I'm in the same boat; the panel and the ambilight are keeping me with the brand, The software is so bad. Even a Philips soundbar was playing up. Got the Bose Soundtouch which works better but still exibits problems, sigh.

I get this issue with audio handshake between the TV and my Yamaha amp. Latest firmware breaks ARC eARC further. Was hoping it would solve the problem not add more.

With latest firmware I've actually turned off my amp now due to the sound cutting out during important parts of movies or while gaming.... Don't upgrade to V108.

Philips TVs of 21-22 years old, which are built on the same platform, basically have only one software problem with sound in eArc. There is nothing else like that. Everything works stably.

They write that firmware 111 fixes it.

P.S. There are software bugs on any brand of TVs

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom