4850 overheat with Accelero S1?

mrpink123

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm having some problems with my 4850 since I put the Accelero S1 rev2 on it.

I have heatsinks on all the ram chips and the VRMs, and I have left it passively cooled for now. The problem I'm having is that I'm getting a black screen after a short period (around 20mins) or graphics intensive games.

I can reproduce the problem easily using the crysis benchmarks. I did this while running GPU-Z to record the temperatures. The last readings before the crash were:

GPU: 75.0
DISPIO: 74.5
MEMIO: 84.5
SHADERCORE: 78.0

These don't seem to be particularly high to me, so my question is, is it still possible that my card is overheating? If not, what else could it be? How do I troubleshoot this further?

Any help much appreciated.

Hi mate,
check your VRM temps. There are reports that some get stupidly high temps on heavy use, 115 C and upwards. If your VRM's are running hot, you'll need to add a fan to get some air movement over the VRM heatsinks.

What did you use between your VRMs and heatsinks? Tape, epoxy or a decent TIM if it's screwed down?

All the best

Last edited:
Hi there, cheers for the advice.

The VRMs are being cooled with the heatsinks which came with the accelero mostly. It didn't actually come with enough so I put some zalman RAM heatsinks I had lying around on the others. They're all attached with the thermal tape which was attached to them.

What software can I use to monitor the VRM temps?

Use Riva Tuner from here
download from Guru3D.com

Shows all the VRM temps at the bottom of the hardware monitoring page.

Hope you get it sorted.

Last edited:
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a temperature sensor on the VRMs for the 4850. That makes this rather tricky doesn't it...

Hmmm, it does indeed.
Based on that, all I can suggest is try placing a fan (40mm or so) pointing at the VRMs and see if you get the same error. If not, tells you that the VRMs are too hot, which is where I think your problem is. If you still get a black screen with the VRMs activley cooled, I'm at a loss.
Your original cooler would have pushed air over the VRMs as well as the main GPU, now it's passive, it's cooling the GPU fine, but the VRMs are getting a wee tad toasty.

If all else fails, try looking ate the ATI forums, see if anyone else has had the same or similar problems.

TTFN

Thanks again for your help, very much appreciated.

I've just been inside the case and found that one of the the VRM heatsinks was unseated :suicide: Just applied some MX2 to the bottom and reseated it, and I'll try rerunning the crysis benchmark. Pretty sure that has to have been the issue! Failing that, I think attaching a 120mm fan would be the best bet. As you say, given that all the temperatures I can monitor are OK, it surely has to have been the VRMs!

No problem, I just hope that sorts the problem for ya.

Have a good week end ;->

do you have any airflow through your system eg intake at front and exhaust at the back as that will move some air over the 4850?

i have a 4850 and have te accelero S1's bigger brother - the twin turbo and that is brilliant, i left the stock heatsinks on as didnt see any point in taking time to remove them when they perform fine and theres no difference between the old ones and the new ones

I have two system fans running yeah. After re-seating the heatsink on the VRM I still got another crash. Since then I've cable tied a 120mm fan onto the accelero, and fingers crossed that'll do the job now. The reported temperatures have dropped by around 20 degrees, so it's certainly making a big difference. I may get the turbo fans attachment as a more permanent solution. Are they quiet?

i have mine running at 7V (you have the option for 12V or 7V) and have 2 80mm fans running at 7V you think would be noisy but they arent at all

they are still fairly quiet at 12V but when i tried it briefly made a bit of a whine

of course im speaking for the twin turbo though
im extremely impressed with it and my temps are brilliant

Just to end this thread (and in case anyone google's it in future), there have been no problems at all since attaching the fan. It seems that my case air flow just wasn't enough to run it passively, the VRMs must have been overheating.

the VRMs do get hot i have heard and need the air movement over the heatsinks

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom