1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

480p vs 576i is it really worth all the hassle?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by McGraw, Nov 15, 2004.

1. McGraw

McGraw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have spent a long time reading up about and finally modding my X-Box so that it will output NTSC with a view to hooking it up to whichever LCD Hi-def TV I eventually plump for.

With PAL 576i looking a damn sight better than NTSC 480i, what benefit will I actually see for all my tinkering?

Surely the TV will make the PAL 576i pseudo-progressive through it's onboard electronics and better than 480p?

Please reassure me, I feel I have waste my time and will be disappointed when I compare the two display modes.

The games I play don't have 720p modes.

Thanks a lot.

2. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wait until Playstation 3 and Xbox 2 come out mate. Xbox 2 is a cert for 1920/1080p games, playstation 3 also probably due to their inclusion of the Blu-Ray standard. XBOX 1 just "hasn't got the power captain :laugh: "
    I spent a fortune on trying to HD my Xbox, although a few games which I can get in 720p are very impressive, the cost and hassle and lack of games available with high resolution makes the whole thing a chore even for a HD buff like me.

loadsofleads

3. McGraw

McGraw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yes but does 480p look better than 576i?

I don't mind waiting, I like messing about :D

4. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm, a contentious subject, one where progressive V Interlaced and Pal V NTSC could rage for months :D
    Quick answer
    480p v 576i = 480p but not a world of difference
    720p v 576i = Ohh boy look at the pretty colours, look at those grains of sand, one word - sublime, had Soul Calibre 2 in 720p (albeit only 4:3) and I nearly soiled myself :blush:
    1080i v 576i = should of course be vastly superior, although I haven't seen that resolution, games at that resolution are rarer than Cockneys without a chip on their shoulder.
    720p v 1080i = A toughie, bringing us back to Progressive V Interlaced. On a Progressive HD display, I'd go with 720p. :smashin:

loadsofleads

5. docfeelgood

docfeelgood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a modded Xbox connected to a Sony HS20 pJ.

The difference between PAL interlaced and NTSC 480P is VERY noticeable.

The NTSC picture is much sharper in every respect.

I don't know if this is down to the progressive scan, the xbox NTSC mode or my PJ. All I know is that anyone who looked at this (not just techy perfectionists) would agree.

regards

DF

6. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess the difference is a lot more noticeable on a PJ than on a Hitachi plasma which I have. The Hitachi is also an interlaced screen which probably doesn't help. I could never get my Hitachi PD5300 to work probably with a modded Xbox, kept getting faintly coloured lines across the screen for some reason :confused:
    My modded Xbox has certainly wetted my appetite for HD games, roll on Xbox 2 and Playstation 3 I say :thumbsup:

loadsofleads :thumbsup: