1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

480p PAL and other conversions

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by binbag, Mar 19, 2005.

1. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I have a Screenplay 4805, I-scan HD and Yamakawa 365 which I use to produce a thoughroughly satisfying picture via DVI-D. :thumbsup:

I get 1:1 on the I-scans tests with 854x480. This led me to wonder if pushing the digits out of the Yam at 480p would drop a step out of the processing done to deliver the image, or would it simply move it from the best place to have the conversion done (presumably the I-scan) to the DVD player.

That made me realise that I don't know where the instructions are that give the image size, framerate etc. or in what form they are passed from device to device. Obviously DVI-D is digital but how 'formed' is the bitstream when its read off the disc?

I've always presumed that these instructions are encoded on the disc and the hardware merely does as its told but until recently I've not had kit that could convert formats. I mostly watch PAL R2 material.

I've found that swapping between formats - including custom on the Yam - produces very minor changes and that the condition of the source material ususally designates what I end up using. The worst looking DVDs get sent via RGBs from my other DVD player which is a lot kinder to their faults.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    do you have an iscan HD or HD+? the HD is digital passthrough so the scaler isnt doing much........

3. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    It'll scale 480p and 576p. I prefer to use the HD in auto and scale (as opposed to the Yam in custom and the HD in passthru) as it allows me to use the borders and test screens. If I set the Yam to output 720p the HD defaults to passthru but as the Yam is supposedly a naughty little player that can output up to 1080i via component(scart apparently - although I've never tried it).

Now, how about the 2nd paragraph?

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    not sure what you are asking but all R2 PAL DVD are stored in Y,Pb,Pr (YCbCr) colour space in 576i NTSC R1 are 480i so to use the DVD player as a transport only you need 576i/480i oupt to the scaler and let the scaler de-interlace and scale if needed i personaly would buy a better analogue player with good A-D conversion but no prog scan and use it to output something like a pio 737 should be yours secondhand for £200 ish and would make a great partner for the iscan HD

5. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Thanks - thats what I was getting at.