480p or 720p? and other questions?

starman0147

Hi, for over a month now since deciding to get a projector I have been stuck on the choice of 3. The BenQ W100, Infocus IN72 & Optoma HD70.

I have pretty much came to the conclusion that I won't need HD at the moment as I don't plan to get any HD sources for at least another year which pretty much neglegtes the need for the HD70.

I will be connecting it to my computer; I will be playing games (Pro Evo 6, San Andrea, among others), watching DVDs, divx files and maybe web browsing.

I will also be connecting a Wii and using my PVR to watch TV. Which projector will look better?

I just want to know does a computer count as HD source due to the resolution it outputs.
If I was to get the HD70 will the DVD player from my computer be capable of doing an upscale job like standalones?
Also will PC games look better on HD70 then the BenQ or Infocus?
Will it be better for web browsing (prolly will never do but nice to know)?

Unless the HD70 produces spectacular images when connected to a PC I can remove it from my list.

I then have to decide between the W100 & IN72. There seems to be no real major differences other then the IN72 is around £100 more but has slightly better blacks and connectivity. The deciding factor will probably be from the warranty that comes with the projector. I know from EBay I can get IN72 with a 2 year warranty. However I have seen ebuyer are doing the BenQ with a 3 year warranty, however there are currently no reviews so on one can confirm this and ebuyer are near impossible to get through to!
Can anyone who has bought the BenQ W100 from ebuyer confirm that it comes with a 3 year warranty?

Lastly are there any places in Sussex that I can get a demo of these machines?
I need to check if DLP will be a problem for me. I don't think that I will suffer from the rainbow effect as I have viewed a DLP projector before, I believe that it was the Infocus X2 which the image looked fine to me.

Thanks for looking any comments will be much appreciated. :thumbsup:

A PC does count as a HD source because you will set it to output a HD res, having more pixals is a good thing when blowing images up, you see less screendoor and sharper text and images.

And if your playing a PC game it can be set to output 1280x720 for most games.

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
I have seen the IN72 and W100 (I have the W100 and my Father has the In72). There is no difference between them picture wise despite what the specs say.

The IN72 is also big. It is more or less a square shape at 39cm x 38cm. It has long len throw on it whereas the W100 has a short lens and zoom (and is shorter than my old Panasonic AE100).

AS PC is HD but it will just upscaling like a upscaling DVD player. The W100 has a DVI socket for a PC and the IN72 has both HDMI and DVI. As the IN72 and W100 being 854 x 480 resolution. They will downscale any HD resolutions. I ouput a custom resolution of 854 x 480 to pixel match the projector. I haven't done this yet with the W100 but I did it successfully with the Panasonic AE100.

The HD70 is HD Ready so that will display HD resolution properly.

starman0147

A PC does count as a HD source because you will set it to output a HD res, having more pixals is a good thing when blowing images up, you see less screendoor and sharper text and images.

And if your playing a PC game it can be set to output 1280x720 for most games.

Thanks for the comment. Isn’t the quality of the resolution determined by the game, like Xbox 360 games are generally 720p and 1080p, what is the general resolution for a PC game?
What would be better a 720 or a 1080 projector for pc games?
Also are PC outputs Interlaced or progressive?

Most new pc games can be set to 720 or any other res u like, progressive also. The extra res on the projector will be good for all sources not just HD, as the projector upscales everything to native res.

I have yet to see a game at 1080, mainly because of the power needed to run a game at that res, but 720 is common on most.

starman0147

right so even tho most content i will be playing would be SD, would you recommend the HD70 over the Benq W100 or IN72 for me?

bagatanmd

yup, anytime.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom