1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

480p/i on a CRT PC monitor

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Poit, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Poit

Poit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been told that I can only display 480p/i on a PC monitor if the monitor allows for the display of 640x480 resolution. Except that I've been displaying a Gamecube's output on a monitor that only seems to be able to go down to 800x600 in the display properties. (It's the ev700, I can't find anywhere that tells how low the resolution can be). I've been using a crappy "vga box" I bought on ebay before I had any idea what I was doing and it displays the game in, I'm assuming, 480i. Or is the vga box doubling the lines to 480p to work with the monitor? But even then that would mean my monitor can display 480p wouldn't it?

And another thing, I've since ditched the vga box and I'm using an s-video cable and connecting the Gamecube through my tv tuner card on my PC. And the games are displayed by using the PVR software. That would mean the picture being displayed on the monitor would be 480i wouldn't it, even though I'm using software instead of outputing directly to the monitor?

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    CRT PC Monitors are progressive devices. The image they display will always be progressive.

3. Poit

Poit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I contacted the place I bought the monitor from, Gateway, and I found out this monitor does accept 640x480 so it should accept 480p. I wasn't going to bother with them before since I bought this monitor about 6-7 years ago, and they check your account and I'm only supposed to get 1 year of support, but I decided it was worth a shot. The tech wasn't able to tell me whether or not it accepts interlaced, but I guess most of the games will be able to run progressive anyway.

To connect the Gamecube to my monitor, I'm going to go with a vga transcoder called the VD-Z3 since I can't afford something like a Lumagen, well I can but I don't want to spend that much.

4. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Not strictly true, the oldest monitors were actually interlaced only, and almost all modern CRT monitors will still take an interlaced signal if fed one. Not even true of the VGA output from a graphics card, most ATI cards can be forced to output various interlaced resolutions.

If you want to get proper progressive output from a gamecube, i'm fairly sure that you need to get the component cable, and a component - vga transcoder. I don't think any of the VGA boxes i've seen actually output a native progressive picture, they just do the guesswork and make the signal progressive, not really the best picture available.

5. Poit

Poit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I'm going to go with a component to vga transcoder, the VD-Z3 from vdigi.com that I posted about in my last post.

According to their site, they do a true signal pass through for 480i/p, 720p and 1080i.

From what I can tell, there are basically 5 levels of video quality for the Gamecube at the moment:

RF and composite: $15 or $16 (5 out of 100 quality)
    S-video: $16 (30 out of 100)
    VD-Z3 and component: $87 (70 out of 100)
    X-Select D4 and D-Terminal: $230 (85 out of 100)
    Lumagen: $1400 or so (100 out of 100)

That's what I've concluded so far anyway.

The X-Select D4 and D-Terminal are both better then the VD-Z3 and component cable but I can't justify the extra cost. I'll be happy enough with using progressive scan and component cable I think. Since the Gamecube can only produce 480p and that's all I'm using this for, there's no way I can justify the Lumagen :) And although the Lumagen is probobly much better then the X-Select D4 in general, since the Lumagen would only be running 480p with the Gamecube anyway, I'm guessing it would not be producing that much better image quality then the X-Select.

6. Poit

Poit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I got the vd-z3 yesterday and component cables this morning. It hooked up easily, plug and play, and I've tested out some games.

Gladius: Much crisper image, the colors are little brighter and defined then with s-video. In this game it looks like I'm playing a computer game at high resolution though so there's no blurriness unless you look really closely with your face next to the screen.

Soul Calibur II: Much better image and the colors are perfect and look slightly brighter then s-video. The details are much better, no blurriness.

Zelda Wind Waker: Oh my god! :zonked: I played through this once already using a cheap vga box and it didn't look that bad even with that box but with this in prog.scan it looks like I'm playing a totally different game! The colors and details are awesome. I felt like I was playing the Gamecube 2 or something. It's incredible, my eyes started to water a little bit. It's also a ton better then with s-video.

Pikmin: And finally the game that is the reason I started looking around for a better video solution. With the vga box and s-video I couldn't see the little details when I was zoomed out so it was a real pain in the ass considering you are controlling 20-100 tiny little creatures. But in progressive I can see tiny details on the ground perfectly when zoomed all the way out. The colors don't seem to be improved that much though but I haven't played this game for about a month now so maybe my memory isn't so good. (I couldn't stand playing this game with my other equipment) But I can tell there is definately a lot less blurriness and it's much crisper. Although there is still some motion blurriness when I'm zoomed out and I move my point of view around quickly. There is less of it then with s-video but it's a little bit annoying.

I can't get 480i to work because I guess my monitor can't go to 50 Hz, but I wasn't really expecting that anyway. So I'm happy with it but there is one issue. When I'm switched to viewing my windows desktop it looks like there is ghosting even when I use the 75 Hz display setting recommended by vdigi. Now I have to pass the vga cable through the transcoder in order to switch back and forth by using the switch on the transcorder instead of unhooking and rehooking up my monitor every time I want to switch from PC to Gamecube. The cable I have for the pass through is probobly a cheap one though. Do you think a better quality vga cable would fix this totally or even somewhat?