1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

480i -> 480p on PAL Xbox??

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by AndyDD, Feb 18, 2004.

1. AndyDD

AndyDD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    Does anyone know if there is a way to get a PAL XBox to output in progressive without fitting a chip? I want to stay clear from chipping as I know where it leads.

I've bought the HiDef AV pack and am running component leads into a projector. It displays 480i which is NTSC type AFAIK. I thought I'd get at least 576i using this pack.

2. jcrookes

jcrookes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for hijacking the thread, but which projector are you using? I’ve just bought a hi-def pack for my un-modded UK Xbox and feeding the component 576/50i signal to my Sony HS20, with disappointing results. Are you seeing and horizontal tearing of the image?

Cheers,

Jon.

3. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    stripey lines down the screen?

if so yes and it sucks, my xbox is modded but I think I have to have it in PAL mode with my chip switched off to be safe in LIve but...

I have 2 original PAL games the have horrible Banding in PAL mode so does the xbox dash, however these PAL games look great in 480p with no banding just like nTSC games.

I think it has something to do with the way the xbox outputs 480i and 576i via the component cables

I think its time M$ updated the dash for PAL with a fix for its horrible component output

4. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    currently the only way to get progressive out of a PAL xbox is to change the region and patch any PAL games that you have. This obviously means that you have to chip your xbox.

As an alternative, you could get an external deinterlacer.

5. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    yeah Brian but the image shouldnt in interlaced mode shouldnt look like it is rendered on corderoy pants via component

6. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Very true, what games do you get the problem on? I've not seen the same problem using Monster Compotent Cables and I was wondering if it was a game I hadn't played.

7. AndyDD

AndyDD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My projector is the Infocus 5700 which has a half decent de-interlacer built in. Doing the de-interlacing in the digital domain will always be better than using one at the other end.
    I also have a US Gamecube and got the 'digital' lead from Liksang yesterday. This makes the picture look sweet (480p).

I have not noticed the banding problem yet, have tried PGR2 and Rainbow Six 3. I'll check with my other games. Using component leads at 480i doesn't look any better than S-video IMO.

I know it used to be illegal to sell equipment in Europe that did HD output but they've sorted the standard and you can buy DVD players that do PAL progressive no problem.

I didn't want to chip my XBox because of Live and also I know I'll end up with bagfulls of 'backups' and never play anthing for more than 5 minutes :lesson:

Hopefully they'll patch the dashboard soon.

8. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    I get it on anything in PAL mode via the component cables, I know its the xbox as it doesnt do it with my DVD players or XCard.

even the xbox dash is Pants.

However ESPN NHL 2K4 has a fatter cord effect and each line alternates in colour with them being slightly greenish or purple.

Its like a wash

Slap the thing into NTSC progressive mode and the image is lustful.

I shall do a thorugh test with pics this weekend.

9. AndyDD

AndyDD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It may possibly be an issue with your XBox Ironduke. If you can try someones to see which end is causing the problem. Check again that your leads are fully pushed in etc.

I am now thinking of buying a US XBox but need to find which of my PAL games will or won't work on it.....anyone?

I played loads on my US Gamecube last night (in 480p) and the graphics are so crisp and smooth I'd rather play that at the moment.

10. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    I have already said NTSC Progressive was perfect so it cant be the lead can it:rolleyes:

11. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    no, but it could be the graphics card thats faulty on your xbox, I strongly recommend getting another xbox from somebody else, hell get one from game on the ten day money back deal and take it back after testing it if you have to.

I don't have anything similar with my xbox(es) either in PAL or in NTSC.

AndyDD - some of your games will work, but the ones that will, won't be in progressive scan (certainly 99% of them) - PAL games have to be patched first, very poor I know. Chipping or switching to a US/JPN xbox and games is your only option.

12. wireman

wireman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    AndyDD

I've just bought a US xbox to get the 480p mode. Unfortunately only Rainbow six 3 seems to work out of my pal collection (pgr2,links 2004,toca race driver,crimson skies don't work) but have got rallisport challenge (ntsc) and it looks superb.

At the moment I've got it running on my PC monitor using a X2VGA adaptor but will try my projector later. The mode on the x2vga shows 480p when playing R63 aswell as RSC so it looks like pal games that are region free will also be progressive aswell.

Hope that helps
    regards Wireman

13. AndyDD

AndyDD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for info. guys.

I have a friend with a chipped XBox so I'll ask him to pop over with his so I can see if (like my Gamecube) if it's definately worth getting a US XBox as well.

Wireman,
    Do you know if you can have 2 XBox's, say a PAL and a US one set up with the same Live account (only log in with one at a time)?

Now off to see how cheap I can get a US Xbox for...

14. wireman

wireman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, apparentely you can. I spoke with MS customer support and all we need to do is use a memory card, save Live account details and swap them over to other console. Hope that helps.

Regards Wireman

15. AndyDD

AndyDD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent, thanks alot.

Best deal I've found is US$179.99 free p+p

16. Justinrog

Justinrog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using a modded UK PAL Xbox, using the region selector patch I changed it to NTSC to enable me to use the Microsoft High Definition cable I imported. 480p looks fantastic on my 32PD3000 plasma via component, all PAL UK games and all originals. Some games have problems running in widescreen mode and 480p at the same time, but this depends on the game. 480p really makes a difference for me. I know I am getting a progressive signal in all PAL games I have tried because of the VGA box I bought. My plasma will not display HDTV signals above 480p on the component input, well, I believe it will do 525p, but the xbox will not support this output in the dash under the high def settings. So I went off and found a component to VGA box that supports all HDTV signals. I imported the box and because it runs on VGA to the plasma, it only displays progressive signals. I can now display 480p, 720p and 1080i to the plasma through the VGA input using the xbox Hi-Def cable. Looks very nice as well. Now if only they brought out more games that supported 720p! Most of the normal games look best when they support 480p in widescreen. There are only a few that support the higher resolutions, with the good ones for testing being Enter the Matrix, Siberia and Dragons Lair, they support all of the higher resolutions. However, to my knowledge I couldn't get a proper 480p or above signal without modding the xbox.

Sorry if I got anything wrong, it's just what I did to get the HD signals, I wanted to see if my TV could handle HD, as I may get an HDTV compatible satellite box soon...

Justin

17. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    justinrog.

Hi i have a xbox with the xecuter 2.3 lite chip upgarde installed how do you get the region selector patch onto your xbox as i would like to use my xbox in hidef to but dont now how to go about it.

THANKS.

18. Justinrog

Justinrog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sent you a message. Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks,

J

19. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    When you see the wide vertical banding try removing and replacing the main video connector on the back of the Xbox. I think you will find it will sort the picture out until you loda the next game.

Seems to me to be a problem with the display device (in my case a Pioneer 504HDE plasma) not syncing properly to the signal. Removing and replacing the connector fixes it for me each time.

Funny thing is it never did this on my old Sharp plasma but only started when I got this new one. Leads me to believe it is a combination of Xbox not outputting signal correctly and display device not managing the feed correctly. BTW, it only does this with a Pal 525p output signal. If I switch the box to NTSC to output 480p it no longer happens.

HTH

20. AndyDD

AndyDD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a good session last night on my friends modded XBox. It was like it was XBox 3!!
    Tony Hawks @ 720p and others @ 480p I just couldn't believe the difference. My PAL PGR2 ran @480p on it too.
    I think I'll buy a US box just for Live and mod my PAL one for single player (remove the Live account just in case)