1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

480i, 480p, etc, etc : What's it all about !!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by gedo, May 20, 2001.

1. gedo

gedo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been into Home Cinema for a few years now and have built up a decent rig. I'm now looking into moving up from my Sony 41DS1 to a front projection system. I'm also modifying my PC for Home Cinema purposes.
    I keep seeing references to 480i, 720p, 1080i, etc. I guess that these relate to picture resolution but haven't found a newbie guide to this. Can anyone please explain what the means ??? The review of the PLV-30 in this months mag also mentions this.......Please excuse my ignorance on the matter.

2. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're right, it refers to line resolution of video sources. NTSC uses 480 lines at its most basic, PAL uses 576?(if I can remember!!). The i or p following the number of lines denotes whether the source is interlaced or progressively scanned. So 480i is broadcast NTSC, 480p is progressive scan NTSC as handled by the latest flagship DVD players (has a more stable picture). 720i or 720p refer to American HD or High Definition TV and are not found on DVD's or broadcast TV in Europe. 1080i is currently the maximum numbers of lines on a HD system, but is also interlaced.

Hope this helps

Matt

3. gedo

gedo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So how important is it to get a projector which can handle these various resolutions ?

And how so you configure your PC to actually produce the various outputs ?

The two projectors on my short-list were the Hitachi MT1 & now the Sanyo PLV-30. I'm not sure if the Hitachi can accept these various inputs , or even if it's necessary !

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    With a HTPC your graphics card output an RGB signal. You'll set the card to give 800x600 which will match the resolution of the projectors LCD panels.

Forget about 480p/575p unless you intend to use a prog scan DVD player or possibly an iScan line doubler/de-interlacer.

You can also stop worrying about 720p, 1035i and 1080i unlesss you plan to travel abroad and plug a projector into a Japanese or American HDTV tuner box.

5. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Just to add that scalers such as the Quadscan output computer resolutions (SVGA 800 x 600/XGA 1024 x 768) and can line double/ triple/quadruple. As previously mentioned 480p is NTSC doubled, 576p is PAL doubled. 720p is NTSC tripled, 864 is PAL tripled etc. so its possible depending on how high your projector will scan. I run my Quadscan at XGA , (768p) which I find is the best picture for my projector.( Barco 808g)

Regards Rob.