4806 intermittently loses DVI input (and scales poorly)?

R

rogergraham

I have a 4806 receiver (AVC-A11XV here in Asia). Connected to it is a 3910 DVD player via HDMI, a cable TV unit via S-Video, and a PC via DVI. The picture goes to my DVI monitor via an HDMI-to-DVI cable.

The DVD picture quality is fine.

The S-Video connection is annoying in that it flickers up and down by a pixel or so, and doesn't quite scale to fill the whole screen - but I can live with that, as annoying as it is.

The real problem is the PC connection via DVI. Sometimes when I switch to the PC, the picture is displayed, and other times is isn't. I can't see any pattern to when it will or won't display. Before you ask, this isn't related to the PC video display going to sleep, as the picture displays fine if I move the DVI cable from the 4806 direct to the monitor. I am using an ATI Radeon 9250 video card.

As with the S-Video input, I can't get the PC DVI picture to scale to fill the whole screen - for example, it fills ~85% of the screen at 800x600 and 1024x768, and ~110% at 1360x768 etc. This also happens with the specific 720 resolutions that can be set within the ATI Catalyst drivers. It will display every resolution I've tried (e.g. 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x720, 1280x1024, 1360x768 etc), but they all scale poorly (some better than others), and all seem to have the intermittent display issue.

Any ideas?

tfboy

As far as I can remember, the 4806 does NOT do proper upscaling / upconverting which could explain why your S-video connection is behaving bizzarely.

Regarding the DVI, have you tried another cable? HDMI can be a bit picky - I've had it where one PC with DVI output with a given cable will not display properly on my HDMI input on my PJ. I changed the graphics card in the PC, kept the cable the same (which I thought was the suspect element), and it now works fine.

I would think it's an output driver level on your DVI card that's the issue - as you say it works fine when plugging into your monitor directly. The 4806 either doesn't like the format, or is too insensitive to accurately and correctly pick up the digital signal.

Do you have another PC / DVI-capable graphics card you could try ?

R

rogergraham

Thanks, that's a start - I can try a new cable, and if that doesn't work, borrow another card frm someone to see if that fixes it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom