1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4805 or BenQ PE5120 with hdmi?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mark.king, Aug 11, 2005.

1. mark.king

mark.king
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm about to get a dvd player. Choice between Denon 3910(can get for around 700 now) and Marantz 7600 I want to feed myplasma with component but I want a projector that can use the digital in. Would either of these DVD players work with these two projectors. At the moment I am leaninbg towards the BenQ as it is so cheap and I will probably only watching films on it once a week or so. Trouble is it only has a DVI input and the M<arantz only has a HDMI output. Will they work together? it says the DVI has HDCP encription.

Cheers

2. ZippyCat

ZippyCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Firstly, HDMI & DVI are compatible, all you need is a suitable cable or converter. HDCP is an encryption technique that prevents the unauthorised duplication of digital material. Don’t get HDCP & HDMI mixed up, they are not the same thing. Secondly, I would like to suggest the SP4805 as the better alternative of the two projectors you mention. The main reason for this is the superior scaler and faster colour wheel. This does not mean to say the BenQ is a slouch, but the SP4805 is superior in almost every way.

3. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    I agree out of the 2 PJ the infocus is superior but having said that I myself own a 5120 and today I plugged it up via the HDMI with my new dvd player (samsung 850) for the first time and it blew me away. the dvd port on the back of the benq is esentially a digital in and as the HDMI is a digital port the 2 are in essence the same thing just differnt plugs.
    It worked really well and I am well pleased with the outcome.

Darko

4. just wondering

just wondering

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    i must say the benq 5120 is a bargin , i bought mine form ebuyer about 10 days ago , at first i was not to happy due to some issues with my xbox , but it turned out to be the xbox , but for 451 quid delivered with 3 year warranty its a bargin.

5. mark.king

mark.king
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the info guys. A mate has just bought the BenQ so I am trying to get him to set it up so I can have a look.

6. just wondering

just wondering

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    any idea how much he paid ? did he get a good deal etc.

7. mark.king

mark.king
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I know it was less than £500. Will have to ask him again. Im seriously look ing at getting the denon 3910 as these are to had multiregion for £720 now and it has both hdmi and dvi

8. just wondering

just wondering

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    why not use your computer for the dvd movies , using software as a scaler etc and a good movie software on pc , buy a nice laptop for much less than 720.

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,527
    mark.king

If you already have a DVD player plus (I assume) a range of other sources have you considered adding an external Video Processor to your set up?

Choose carefully and for £700.00 you can have a fully programmable device that can output optimised images to your Projector and Plasma Display in Analogue or Digital - which ever is most suitable for each Display device.

As far as projectors go I wouldn't fret overly until nearer the time your due to make a purchase - for £1k these days you get excellent Video performance from a lot of what's on the market. I find were now getting more choosy about noise levels, user adjustment menus, lens shift etc as were having to delve deeper into each projector to find its USP.

Best regards

Joe

10. mark.king

mark.king
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers. You have given me a lot to think about :)