48" OLED: LG OLED48CX5LC or Sony KD48A9BU?

48" OLED: LG OLED48CX5LC or Sony KD48A9BU?

• LG

Votes: 61 70.1%
  • Sony

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
And is this data available to see?
You have to be a member, which I believe is 25 dollars a year. This is how they get their 27 million yearly budget for research. They test and review about 250 TVs a year. For instance, they will test every size of the CX except for the 88" model. If your a videophile who spends hours a day on AVForums I would get the 25 dollar yearly membership. Note: They don't just rate TVs. They also collect reliability data on cars and many other items. I always use their information when I buy a new car.

Last edited:
You have to be a member, which I believe is 25 dollars a year. This is how they get their 27 million yearly budget for research. They test and review about 250 TVs a year. For instance, they will test every size of the CX except for the 88" model. If your a videophile who spends hours a day on AVForums I would get the 25 dollar yearly membership.
So I assume you're a member then to have seen this dataset? Would be nice if you could screenshot the relevant data field.

So I assume you're a member then to have seen this dataset? Would be nice if you could screenshot the relevant data field.
I have just seen a overall rating for each TV manufacturer on a scale of one to ten. If you are wanting data like 2 TVs out of 10,000 OLEDs we collected data on experienced burn in. I haven't seen that. They provide general guidelines for what they base their ratings on. If your looking for actual data sheets, you wont find that.

Sounds like you don't trust their expertise. Nothing wrong with that. There is so much good and bad information on social media. Everybody has to decide what information they want to use to formulate their opinions. If you have better sources use them.

I trust the results of their reliability data and use it to make many of my buying decsions. They do provide the kind of data you are asking for with respect to cars so maybe someday they will do this with TVs.

When your dealing with Consumer Reports you have to understand that the majority of their members trust them so when they say our data shows OLED Burn In is not a significant issue most people believe this without seeing the actual data. When they provide reliability results based on data they say they have obtained most of their members trust them. Most of their members are interested in the results and don't want to do an extensive study like you. If most of their members were like you and wanted to spend hours pouring thru the data then they would provide this information.

Last edited:
I'm also deciding between the two. Before I purchased my 49" XF9005 I tested both the LG C9 and the Sony AF8. 55" is to big for my setup, so I'm so happy to finally see 48" OLED's :). Since I've had Sony tv's before I'm used to their motion handling and LG doesn't look as good in that department. I do a fair bit of console gaming and was impressed by LG new features, but I'm not sure how much difference their will be when hooking up the PS5 and Xbox Series X. Even though Sony doesn't support 4K@120 and VRR I think it will handle gaming just fine. Most games will run at 4K@60 from what I understand so don't know how much real life difference there will be between the two sets.

Am i correct that AVF has not yet tested either model [edit: in this size]? I'm itching to get one, but want some trusted feedback first.

MB

I've always wanted an OLED but 50" or under for space reasons, and I was set on the LG 48CX as soon as I heard about it, but then I heard about the 48" Sony OLED as well so I'm holding off for now until I've read some in depth reviews and feedback of both. Then I'll make my decision a bit further down the line.

I know the LG is £1599 RRP, any word on the price of the Sony? I can't find any info on that.

Last edited:

Towards the bottom of this article - £1,699 for the Sony and £1,499 for the LG.

Last edited:

Towards the bottom of this article - £1,699 for the Sony and £1,499 for the LG.

Just saw that, thanks. I won’t be paying £1699 for a 48” TV so the LG has just gone favourite. Although it will be a while before I take the plunge so I’ll see what prices are at the time.

This is an example of the kind of information that is available.
Because of this article I stay clear of Hisense and Vizio TVs. Other people may look at this and say the data is unreliable or inconclusive so I am going to buy Hisense or a Vizio TV. Everybody has to decide who they want to believe.

Consumer Reports data says that Sony is the most reliable TV brand. On a scale of 1 to 10 Sony is 2 points ahead of LG and Samsung when it comes to reliability.

A TVs reliability is a major factor for me so I would choose the 48” Sony TV. I personally have never seen a claim, even on social media, of a Sony OLED experiencing burn in. This is an example of the quality Sony puts into their manufacturing process.

My personal belief is that because LG had some manufacturing quality issues some of their 2017 and older OLEDs experienced burn in. Even though they have corrected these manufacturing processes they are paying dearly on the Wild Wild Web. Although their 2018 and newer models are burn in free people don’t forget the past.

I know Sony uses OLED panels manufactured by LG. Luckily for Sony LG improved their manufacturing process so it doesn't tarnish Sony's stellar reputation.

Last edited:
FYI, response to my stock enquiry with Richer Sounds for both TVs:

Thanks for your email. Unfortunately there have been delays with the 48” OLEDs so we’re currently looking likely to get stock towards the end of July/August.

MB

I'd like to get mine from RS but it wont be for another 4 or 5 months anyway, so I'm OK with that.

20200526_092346.jpg

This arrived from Curry's

I ordered originally from mark's electrical end of March then cancelled when they pushed delivery back to September.

Curry's I ordered end of April as soon as they went live - I went for the more expensive option because I reckoned they would get them in first.

I am considering getting the C9 55 now, but I dont think g sync works with a 1080ti? Anyone know?

It doesnt, only RTX cards and 16XX cards

Are you sure as I have seen youtube videos using nvidia inspector to make it work? I will be getting the new 3080ti when they come out anyway ()

Are you sure as I have seen youtube videos using nvidia inspector to make it work? I will be getting the new 3080ti when they come out anyway ()

Oh didnt know that. I'm waiting for new RTX cards to come out before I get CX ........prices will drop by than as well. Currently have GTX 1070ti.

Just you can get a C9 55" for £1200 now and they have true hdmi 2.1

We only need g sync if we can't push the fps out, so not sure right now how major that is. Just the stock issues with the 48cx and the fact that it isnt as good as the C9 is making me question the order. It's just the size as a pc monitor and console use and sitting just over 1m away concerns me :(

Same I could go for a C9 but I would prefer the size of the 48" and I have just spoken to Curry's they have no stock in the warehouse, 7-14 days wait

Just you can get a C9 55" for £1200 now and they have true hdmi 2.1

We only need g sync if we can't push the fps out, so not sure right now how major that is. Just the stock issues with the 48cx and the fact that it isnt as good as the C9 is making me question the order. It's just the size as a pc monitor and console use and sitting just over 1m away concerns me :(
If c9 drops close to £1000 will pull the trigger but for now can wait ..... not in a hurry as think C9 will be in stock for a while longer. Waiting for Vincent to drop his CX review before decide. Gotta remember CX has just come out so will take some time before they correct all the bugs with firmware updates. I'm going for 55" as will use it as normal tv, will use it for RPG games and pc monitor for rest of the games. I think you would get use to it, try and cut out cardboard in 48" size and see if will be ok.

Size on the wall is ok, just is 1m too close based on PPI? CX doesnt support full hdmi 2.1 speed, it has been gimped to make it cheaper. It has over things that have improved like 120hx bfi but i am just stuck on what to do

I'm not sure hdmi 2.1 will matter as tv panel is only 10bit, will see I guess.

I'm not sure hdmi 2.1 will matter as tv panel is only 10bit, will see I guess.

No one knows :p we shall all find out i guess !

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom