470 dead?

Reaction score
Received the new cooler today the Gelid Icy and have tried to fit it. First off the instructions were just plain crap and just did not make sense. Then after looking at the 470 diagram it did not match up to my 470, this was my fear a while if some of you remember that this Palit was smaller than the reference design and so would cause issues.

I have only just managed to boot in now and am met with this. Original cooler back on now. I fear i know the answer already :mad:

Not happy

Mate, sorry to hear that :( are you going to send the cooler back. Just to make it clear, is your card ok with the original cooler? as I saw the title and thought it was dead.

No those screens are with original cooler back on. It does the same with the Gelid. It's dead :mad: If i install drivers it does not work but windows drivers i get that res and them artifacts

Last edited:
Bet your well ******. You in the process of RMA the card? Are the temps ok? Cooler sitting right? I know you probs already checked and stuff.

Can't see any artifacts in those pics, did you just do a screen dump? I don't think that would show it you need to get the camera out.

I have to ask though, how come you went ahead and fitted it if you thought it was wrong?

If you are sure it still looks untouched, RMA will probably be OK.

Can you guys not see all them green and purple lines in them screens then? Not gonna bother RMAing the card, it's just hassle and i have opened the card so just pointless.

Just have to try and pick something else up.

Wolvers - the cooler fits fine and matches fine with the chip itself. It's just the RAM etc on this Palit is placed completely different to a reference 470

No green and purple lines.

What was the issue with fitting the Gelid? Apart from removing the original screws from the card, it's pretty simple to install.

You stick on the memory heatsinks, and then you screw on the new CPU heatsink.

Where did you get stuck?

Purple and green lines sounds like the memory overheating. Did you clean them off and put on the new heatsinks?

The Gelid isn't as good as the Arctic Coooling or Thermalright Shaman coolers, but it's still better than the stock and other coolers.

I just found it very frustrating mate and the instructions next to useless. With hardly any visual clues on where to go. I didn't get stuck really but felt like punching something. I have fitted coolers before so i do have some sense but found this a real pain in the arse.

I have been reading up on it in the last 20 minutes and there are a few reviews stating the same about the instructions and it being frustrating. Just dissapointed now i guess. As i now have to find a new card.

The amount of screws in there was a joke and as said this Palit card was completely different in terms of where things go.

Basically as i write now, my screen is full of purple and green lines. If i install the drivers, i lose signal

Tbh nis, I couldn't see them which lead to my confusion but I'm on my phone so couldn't really see the pics and clearly so put it down to that. If you can make it look like how you received it RMA it mate. If not, you might be able to get a 480 cheap?

Completely uninstall your graphics card from Device Manager and reboot., then let Windows install some drivers... then install the latest.

The only way I can think you could have damaged it is by touching it with a load of static charge on you. Did you keep yourself grounded etc?

Watch this video?

YouTube - Gelid Icy Vision Installation on GTX 470

Wolvers - the cooler fits fine and matches fine with the chip itself. It's just the RAM etc on this Palit is placed completely different to a reference 470

Right, gotcha.

Does sound like a VRAM issue, either overheating or damaged somehow when the stock cooler was removed?

Completely uninstall your graphics card from Device Manager and reboot., then let Windows install some drivers... then install the latest.

The only way I can think you could have damaged it is by touching it with a load of static charge on you. Did you keep yourself grounded etc?

Watch this video?

YouTube - Gelid Icy Vision Installation on GTX 470
Tried that just now and was met with...No supported hardware found

Right, gotcha.

Does sound like a VRAM issue, either overheating or damaged somehow when the stock cooler was removed?
I was pretty careful, obviously not enough :(

For anyone looking at getting a cooler for the GTX 470 you should look to the Zaman VF3000F. Its a very good cooler and easy to install. I found taking the old cooler off the hardest part.

:(, sorry to hear your trouble nis, nothing worse when this kinda thing happens, hope ya manage too sort it, if not just think ya can buy a nice new shiny card :D

Nismo - Reseat the gpu cooler and you should be ok. I have seen this happen a few times with various cards over the years with a dodgy mounting of the cooler. The reseat always solves the Artifacting.

I did Razor last night about 3 times mate with both coolers and same results, i think it's borked. May try a OS reinstall, don't think it will help but worth a butchers i spose.

Oh dear. :(

I know this sounds crazy but try leaving the card out of your pc for 24 hours with the stock cooler on. I have seen this approach fix a few artifacting cards after a reinstall of the cooler. It worked on one of my gtx480 which I incidently sent back after I abused it with a broken/faulty waterblock. The card tested as working and I even went to see it as I didnt believe it. This was after many remounts of both blocks.

Its worth a punt mate as I have recommended this approach to a few owners of cards with borked cooler swap outs and it seemed to work for them. Fingers crossed it can do the same for you. :)

Last edited:
Long shot here but your screen shots showed no corruption, I am wondering if your HDMI cable is borked, obviously you would see corruption on your screen, but if the card was messed up, a screen shot would show those lines as well?

Screen grabs rarely show artifacting you have to take a picture with a camera to see the corruption.

Razor, i will try that :)

If i install drivers i lose all the signal and just a black screen. Fresh install and using windows drivers as it's the only way i can get an image.

Pics below.. Camera phone btw, so not sure how well if at all they show up

yep, clear now mate :(
Worth giving what Razor suggested a go. Fingers and toes crossed mate.

img00075201105051423.jpg

I had a damaged HDMI socket and plug once (in an AV receiver) and it looked exactly like that. Definitely worth a look.

edit, although I remember now you said there was a problem installing the driver too so probably not that.

Last edited:
Nis, do you have another lane on your board to plug the card into? (getting desperate in the suggestions now)

Nis, do you have another lane on your board to plug the card into? (getting desperate in the suggestions now)
Tried all 3 mate :(

have you actually tried different connections not just one? ie dvi rather than hdmi? do you get the same result?
The card has a full size HDMI socket on it and have always used that and there doesn't look like there is damage. Will try the DVI

EDIT: Forget that, can't even find my DVI--HDMI

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom