47" to 50" tv for £700 ish in January sales.

BName

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi all i am looking for a Smart tv between 47" to 50" for about £700 to £800 in the January sales. I will use it mainly for Sky HD, Xbox360 Gaming. and blu ray dvd's. 4 X HDMI ports. WiFi built in ( I am guessing that a WiFi dongle will takeup a USB port ? unless you could have two devices running on the same USB Port ?). I have no 3D as of yet but will purchase it once i have the tv in place allthough i can not see 3D being used that much. Any advice on what to purchase would be helpful thanks.

Richer Sounds has them in at £649.95 don't think i will get any better than that anywhere ? The tv seems to get good reviews the only consern i have is that it only has 3 X HDMI ports and i have 5 HDMI devices.

Sky HD, Xbox360, Blu Ray Player, PC/Laptop, Media Player. - How would i connect all these up with only 3 HDMI ports ? would it be possible. I just unplug the Media player at the moment if i want to use the Laptop because i only have 4 X HDMI ports.

Last edited:
HDMI switcher? I am not sure any TVs have 5 x HDMIs?

Which TV is £650?

Sorry to hijack the thread slightly but I'm also looking at the E6500... But despite ringing around RS based on their stock checker there seems to be none around....?

Any other places I could try for a similar price?

Sorry to hijack the thread slightly but I'm also looking at the E6500... But despite ringing around RS based on their stock checker there seems to be none around....?

Any other places I could try for a similar price?

Oh i looked on there website i never noticed if they were instock or not.

Website says there are 5 in the country - likely ex display or returns - expect not very up to date given the Xmas shutdown

Eton
0333 900 0087
Guildford
0333 900 0050
Manchester Prestwich
0333 900 0042
Reading
0333 900 0044
Tunbridge Wells
0333 900 0082

Id not buy from an unknown without a lot of checking, HiSpeck are a very good retaile, my brother got his set from them. Amazon are good to buy from too.

If one of these tvs were brought now would it be an ex display and or a return ? or would you be getting a new tv ?

The RS Samsungs - they state they may be ex display or returns when it is just the last few. You would need top ask them, no one has a crystal ball ;)

Hi spek have the TV new for £665

I decided not to get this tv because it was a Plasma from what i have seen of them they do not look as good as LCD. Are any good cheap LCD TV's going about ?

I decided not to get this tv because it was a Plasma from what i have seen of them they do not look as good as LCD. Are any good cheap LCD TV's going about ?

Where did you see them? IMO no LCD at this price will be close, let alone better, this is a mid range set that was around 1200-1300 and it was a good set at that price.

Currys and PC world have 51E6500 back in stock for £698

I cancelled my 50GT50 and ordered one of these :thumbsup:

Where did you see them? IMO no LCD at this price will be close, let alone better, this is a mid range set that was around 1200-1300 and it was a good set at that price.

I meant LCD tv's in general no particular one i might as well go for this tv at this price i can't complain and i do not watch as much tv these days so going out and spending thousands on one seems abit of a waste.
I have never owned a Plasma before what imperfections should you look out for when you purchase one ? Backlight bleed etc ?

Last edited:
If you prefer LCD, get an LCD. Just be aware that they too have their issues, depends on what you prefer and what you can live with :)

LG tend to be cheapest, followed by Samsung, then Panasonic and then Sony

Only Samsung make 50" LCDs, it's more a plasma size

This^^^

You won't find an LCD to even come close to the plasma you were looking at.

I meant LCD tv's in general no particular one i might as well go for this tv at this price i can't complain and i do not watch as much tv these days so going out and spending thousands on one seems abit of a waste.
I have never owned a Plasma before what imperfections should you look out for when you purchase one ? Backlight bleed etc ?

Plasma don't have a back light they're lit per pixel, some good info at the top of the plasma forum.

Please don't get me wrong with my reply, you get the set you want, its your money, its just many stores have poor setups and use awful feeds, very easy to make one set of any type look better than another.
I would read up on the article I mention as it will tell you the prose and cons, please don't feel pressured into buying anything as that's not why I post on here.

What is a good Soundbar to use with the 51E6500 ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom