47 inch LED or 50 inch Plasma?

ark1g09

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi fellas,

Looking to buy a TV for the living room of an apartment. Am considering these two models -

LG 50PN650T
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BS55R1I/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

and

LG 47LM620T
LG 47LM620T 47-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LED Cinema 3D Smart TV with Freeview HD and 4 Pairs of 3D Glasses: Amazon.co.uk: TV

Both cost around the same, 550 GBP.

The apartment has lots of natural light, with 4 windows on two sides. I am planning to place the TV on a wall with no windows, across a wall with windows.
I will be using it to do three things only - watch sky sports (NFL and Formula 1), watch blu rays, and gaming through xbox. I therefore would prioritise picture quality and motion processing.

Ive been researching the hell out of 'plasma or LED', but after narrowing it down to those two TVs i found myself stuck and unable to make a firm decision. My TVs have always been LED before this and they have been great, but i also have always wanted to try plasma.

If anyone can give any suggestions on which one i should go with, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Transitioning between these 2 technologies is not always easy. I tried to move from Plasma to LED and i gave up after 3 days(limited viewing angle, LED dimming, motion issues), similarly when moving the other way round there are few things you need to adjust. With lot of natural light, viewing during day could be hard as picture can be washed out. You might be seeing flickering on plasma, DFC in panning scenes is also something which you might notice. Some sets also seem to have buzzing during bright scenes. I am not an expert at LG plasmas but i am sure they have their own skeletons in the closet, best to check this out from LG plasma threads and best of all, go check both in a shop. I am sure that you wont find home like lighting conditions, but then you get a fair idea what plasmas are capable of.

Last edited:
Ended up taking a risk with plasma and getting the panny 50 inch GT50b for 799 from John Lewis.

Fingers crossed ill like it, otherwise will return and get the LG LED from amazon

Ended up taking a risk with plasma and getting the panny 50 inch GT50b for 799 from John Lewis.

Fingers crossed ill like it, otherwise will return and get the LG LED from amazon

I have a sneaky suspicion you'll be grinning ear to ear.;)

I am confident that you will find the panny in decent enough quality to not allow you considering any swaps. Enjoy your set :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom