1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

46WM48P cloud markings on standby screen

Discussion in 'TVs' started by maidstoneman30s, Jan 3, 2005.

1. maidstoneman30s

maidstoneman30s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there all,
    Have noticed last night and more today that when thetv is turned off, i see a couple of dark silvery / light grey cloud markings on the black screen.

The only way you can see it is if the TV is turned off and the red LED light is on. Have you 46"er guys got anything like that on your screen.

I add to this that last night after it had been running its first two hours, one of the positions where the cloud marking is less noticeable but still evident, was showing a pink haze around tv images for a few minutes.

I took a torch and shone the light on various parts of the screen, even then seeing this cloudy area.

Any ideas as to what this could be, have you guys noticed it on yours.

beginning to think i got a duff one here.

maidstoneman30s

2. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    ive gotthis as well but I dont see it if the TV is on.

Nick

3. maidstoneman30s

maidstoneman30s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there Nick,
    Me and the Mrs have now established that this cloudy mark/haze/ghosting/blemish/fog/ is more visible if the sun or a dull light is shining from the side of the window. We waited til the sun had gone from the front room, and noticed that the marks had dissapeared quiet bit but they are still there as such.

I am ringing COSTCO HQ tomorrow, to get their low down on Toshiba support and will hopefully speak to Toshiba tomorrow regarding this.
    If it is a fault of some description, its a case of driving to COSTCO again and getting it changed.

Apart from that, im still a happy bunny.

Nick, do your cloudy blemishes look a silver grey??? Mine are formed like clouds are are vertical as well as circular. Some are more visible than others. I will try and get this on Digital camera, but can not guarantee the pic until tomorrow and pending the light intruding into the room.

maidstoneman30s

4. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    It isn't a fault, it is marks in the material used which can only be seen in a certain light and certainly does not interfere with viewing. Also, if you have your tv set to the 6 minute standby mode then the lamp does not completely extinguish until after 6 minutes, (whilst it cools down||), and a feint grey 'cloud' can be seen on the screen, but only in total darkness. Again nothing to worry about.

5. maidstoneman30s

maidstoneman30s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see what you say, but i am still concerned only from the point that while these cloudy marks are visible, they are still visible with the tv not being in standby mode as such.
    The only thing that is on is the RED LED.

As for not seeing it while the telly is on, i have noticed that the cloud ''area'' shows up against blacks, deep blues and purples.

Does that still put it down to the reflection of the screen material ??

maidstoneman30s

6. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    The difficulty is in interpreting what you are seeing. However if you are unhappy then you are right to contact your retailer. It'll be interesting to read of the outcome.

7. maidstoneman30s

maidstoneman30s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes your right, its difficult for one to know what the other is trying to describe.
    As mentioned earlier, i will try and take a pic of the cloudy mark tomorrow if at all possible and post it here

maidstoneman30s.

but anyone else considering the TOSH, dont be frightened of this thread. I am really pleased with and overall, mega impressed with the DVD side of it. As for the XBOX, weellll, i hope my car racing improves, lol

8. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Its gone now, but I do have blinds.

9. maidstoneman30s

maidstoneman30s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well here it goes,
    This morning me and the mrs had another look. The cloudy marks were a bit lighter this morning.
    Tried Toshiba, only to get told that 35 other people were holding for Tech support. Tosh helpdesk took the particular problem on note and advised me to call them on their direct telephone number tomorrow at 10 am and hopefully the helpdesk would have had an answer back or will pass me straight thru to tech support helpline.

I was okay with that.

Mrs wasnt too impressed (reckon a bit impatient after 1500 notes). Rang Costco and explained my situation. Got told , that if i was unhappy, to bring it back. So I did. Costco very helpfull, even though it meant i had to get a cash refund and re-buy a new one.

Took longer than offloading and reloading.

Anyway, got new telly in the room. before even switching it on, noticed one silvery cloud mark again in the centre, although not as bright this time, and it was only with evening room lighting. Ah well, but better than before.

So, I will have to speak to TOSHIBA tomorrow and see what they say.

I WOULD STILL like to hear from all TOSHIBA 46WM48 P guys and just to let me know if they have this cloudy mark or not, as this is the 2nd unit from new. I told COSTCO, that if AVFORUM members tell me in the majority that it should not be the case i would be back. To which COSTCO told me they were happy to assist, and even said they would get any unit unboxed and test it before i take any more TV's home.

Well done for COSTCO, even though its a collect retailer and a 2 hour round trip.
    :)

10. Carl_Docklands

Carl_Docklands

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a visible cloud when its powered off. Its not a fault imo. No TV is absolutley perfect, mine has a slightly faulty stand.

11. phunt

phunt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I agree.I aslo have the cloud thing when turned off but its never worried me and ive never considered it a fault as ive never seen it have any effect whatsoever when the tv is on.

12. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    Is this something that can be wiped off with a microfibre cloth? Is it a permanent mark, or a mark inside the unit?

I must admit I noticed something like this when I went into a store for a demo, and the Tosh was in standby, so my first look at the set was without a picture and the staining was quite visible. However, I put it down to just the normal dusty showroom environment, and assumed a new one out of the bag wouldn't have this, or that a quick wipe would remove it

I should add that it was completely unnoticable once the picture was on the screen