• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

46PZ80/85 vs 50LG6000 vs 50PZ70

sibod

Hiya!

Right, I'm in a bit of a quandry.

I have seen and fallen in love with both the PZ80 and the LG600s, but I really want larger than 42 inches.

However, I dont need IFC, so I settled for the PZ80 as it's 1080p and has an excellent PQ.

The problem is thus: I've tried to find good price, and they seem to vary between £1400 and £1500 - which while affordable, is a little more than Im prepared to pay. Especially as the 42 inch versions are so much cheaper for 4"less!

I thought the 46PZ80 would be around £100 less than the PZ85, but for some reason many stores are listing it as MORE expensive, if not the same.

(Average for the PZ85 is £1399, average for the PZ80 is £1499).

Home come the discrepancy, when the 42 inchers of each are about £100 difference?

Well, anyway, I started looking at the 50LG6000 recently, but I'm unsure if its wise to invest in an HD Ready rather than Full HD set now, especially as I intend on using it for Blu-Ray movies. But it's £400 cheaper, and has a larger screen.

Or are the PZ70s still a reccomended buy?

Picture quality is important, but not at any cost, and My maximum budget is around £1300-£1400.

Lin3ar

Distinguished Member
I have been looking at the 46PZ80 and I fully expect it to come down to around £1200 in a couple of weeks.
I think it is more expensive than the 46PZ85 because it has just come out and the majority of shops do not have it in stock yet.

Yannis

EasterEEL1

The PZ80/85 series seem to have three major problems:

1) The TV has 4 fans meaning you will hear noise with the volume down.
2) The power consumption is too high even for plasma standards and that means excessive heat
3) SD PQ is mediocre.

For more details you can read a review here if you want...

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-viera-th-46pz85u/4505-6482_7-32887121.html

As a TH-46PZ85 owner for about three weeks now that review seems pretty balanced and accurate to me. I would add the following:

The UK model (sadly) does not show picture control settings on screen with numbers, we get bars. Also the UK version does not have some of the setting mentioned; Tint, CATS, Black Control Level, Image Retention etc.

The UK model does have power save.
The UK version of the stand does have swivel.

I have found the best picture mode is cinema and my settings are:
Contrast 75%
Brightness 46%
Colour 56%
Sharpness 50%
Colour Balance Warm
Colour Management On
P-NR Off

For me this gives the best colours and detail in blacks, but at the expense of absolute black levels. The Normal and Eco modes give the best blacks but at the expense of detail. Turning on colour management resolved the pale green colour issue, without impacting other colours.

From memory the PZ85 SD PQ does not appear much different to the PX600 I previously owned, perhaps a touch softer. I would not describe it as mediocre. Skin tone is much better and happily has lost the waxy look the PX600 always had. Horizontal judder is handled differently and I now notice it more (possible down to the 100Hz technology?).

With regard to the full resolution of the SD DVD format test patterns not being displayed, I have found the following with my kit:
DVD Denon 2900 - via component @ 576i deinterlaced and upscaled by the PZ85 resulted in a very soft picture. It failed the THX test for sharpness.
DVD Denon 2900 - via component progressive scan @ 576p (presumably then upscaled to some extent by the PZ85) resulted in a much sharper picture.

My TV has 5 fans, but even in a quiet room I would be hard pressed to hear them from further than two feet away. My SkyHD and PS3 fans are louder.

The quoted maximum power consumption is frighteningly high but it does not translate into excessive heat with my TV. Activating Power Save I assume reduces contrast but I am not sure about this or what else it does. However it does not seem to change the picture quality at all, so I have activated it. I'll know more when I get my next electricity bill.

Lin3ar

Distinguished Member
LG6000 is the best compromise for SD and HD viewing IMO.

The PZ80/85 series seem to have three major problems:

1) The TV has 4 fans meaning you will hear noise with the volume down.
2) The power consumption is too high even for plasma standards and that means excessive heat
3) SD PQ is mediocre.

For more details you can read a review here if you want...

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-viera-th-46pz85u/4505-6482_7-32887121.html

Isn't that a review of the American panel which has a different spec to the UK one.
I would wait for a review of the UK spec panel and one is coming from What Hi-Fi pretty soon.They have already said that out of the box the 46PZ85 is not so hot and needs a lot of tweaking to get the best out of it.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom