46in (circa) TV - £700 budget

Thomasoates

Standard Member
Reaction score
Had heart set on a Panny 46G20 but Richer Sounds has sold out in all local areas. All other stores selling it are charging a lot more. G30 looks nice but could only just afford 42in and really wanted 46/47.

Budget of £700 top end (Inc guarantee!).

Happy to be recommended LCD/LCD LED/Plasma. Currently have SAMSUNG 32inch LCD. Want upgrade in size and quality hopefully.

Sources: Sky HD with fair amount of football and movies, PS3 and blu rays.

Really need help, took ages to settle on G20 and been away for few weeks, finding out now unavailable to me has gutted me and really don't know where to go now.

Thanks in advance.

Looked at that before. It would fit yes but I'm not sure if it's too big that's all. I Di have that in mind, read good things about it.

Would appreciate other ideas though around the 46 mark. Whether LCD or Plasma.

How do these compare to the g20 in terms of picture? Heard lots of good things about that TV so don't want to end up with something crappy now.

How do these compare to the g20 in terms of picture? Heard lots of good things about that TV so don't want to end up with something crappy now.

Vickster has the best options I can find. LCDs tend to blur a bit with motion unless you get a 100-200hz set, but then you may still get some blur but with higher lag for games.......main diffs I know of between Samsung and Panasonic plasmas is the Samys don't have as deep blacks, have more IR issues and the screens more reflective. The G20 was about the best for its price range unfortunately, GT20 or G30 are the best options, price of the G30 may go down in a couple of weeks if you can wait. How bigs your room and how far away will you be sitting? I sit about 2m from my 42" V20 and it feels just right to me.

42"S30?https://www.forumhifivisual.co.uk/V...2_INCH_FULL_HD_PLASMA_TV_TXP_42_S30_3175.html
http://www.simplyelectricals.co.uk/panasonic-tx-p42s30b.html
http://www.mrmdvd.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1314

Only 42" still but G30 with 5year for 729http://www.mrmdvd.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1314

Last edited:
Room is big area.

We watch TV probably around 8ft away from the sofa. That could be extended by a foot or so with minor adjustment.

The missus is fixed on wanting a 46 if we are to upgrade, but still doubt it 50 is just too big.

I was always fixed on LCD but have heard lots of positives about Plasma on here so am concerned. Don't want noticeable problems.

Room is big area.

We watch TV probably around 8ft away from the sofa. That could be extended by a foot or so with minor adjustment.

The missus is fixed on wanting a 46 if we are to upgrade, but still doubt it 50 is just too big.

I was always fixed on LCD but have heard lots of positives about Plasma on here so am concerned. Don't want noticeable problems.

I prefer plasma and if after looking you decided on the G20 I don't think you'll be happy with LCD. Have you demoed many sets? May have to up your budget 42" is a tad small for 8ft. Prices will come down soon going by last year, though you'll prob need to wait a month or two. Maybe in that time go have another look at the sets that have been suggested, like I say the G20 was a cracker at that price, the 46" G20 was over a grand I think to start with.
Take a look at LCD but I'd personally recommend avoiding edge lit LED, I really don't see any benefit myself and they can be worse with clouding. Still take a look though if you haven't already, we all see things differently.

Scooby what do you think about the LG PK590 then?

Fantastic set mate, its basically the PK350 with extra settings and THX, also has extra connections, checkout the review;) Many Pany owners that had issues last year got the PK590 as a replacement. The screens are more reflective, blacks aren't as deep(though still good) They did have more lag but I think this was fixed with firmware. oh and IR can be more of an issue(though is easy to live with by the sounds of things). They don't have the issues the Panys have with 50hz motion, or the posterizing on SD, the Panys tend to show this more. Many find that SD is batter than on the Panys and they are def the best value for money IMHO.

Perhaps might try that one. If 50" is too big then I'll do something about it.

Do RS sell it still? Can't find it on mobile site, damn iPhone. Or is somewhere else better?

Last edited:
Is there anything else anyone would recommend in that price range though?

Have I really missed out by not getting the g20? Will I be getting a second quality TV compared to that?

Those are pretty much the best options right now. £700 is still a pretty low budget for a mid-high end 46" TV when all's said and done - upon release 9-12 months ago, these models were £1000-1200 :)

This is also worth considering - very good price but only a 1 year warranty.Should be decent for sport with the 100hz processing but laggy for gaming

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003BVI4...de=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B003BVI4DU

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom