46" or larger, LED/OLED TV recommendation

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by jamie evans, Feb 27, 2014.

1. jamie evans

jamie evans
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi everyone, my first post here so hi.

now a pc i can build and pick parts, their easy. but when it comes to a tv, unless you have used it, it seems specs don't mean a lot. So this will be my second tv in less then a year!

currently i have a 50" plasma connected to my computer. i decided on plasma as LCD hurts my eyes due to low refresh rate. i do suffer from eye problems and the screen refresh seems to make a large difference (higher being better)

The tv currently is being used to watch movies and to play on games. 1080p is a minimum as any lower is just a waste.

The problem i am having with my plasma is the dreaded screen burn; whilst it isn't extremely bad, when using my pc i get icons, and parts of games burned onto the screen very quickly, mainly stuff like game maps.

i am a hardcore gamer so gaming for 6 hours or more is common for me, you may be able to guess how much of a pain this is. so i'm looking to replace it with something else. but there are so many different ones out there i go from one, to the other, and then back again.

So here is what i know i need, and what the tv must have;

1. LED/OLED tv
    2. Optical Audio Out (normal i know)
    3. 3 HDMI ports prefered
    4. High Refresh Rate (as high as possible)
    5. Good colours for games
    6. Low input lag, using a plasma seems fine to me
    7. Around the £700 mark
    8. 3D optional
    9. 46" minimum

I don't have a clue where to start, when i bought my plasma i was told to go look at them in the store, didn't really work out :) It doesn't seem to matter which i look at, there are problems with them all

any recommendations, or personal experience is greatly needed and i don't mind a bit of debate to try and get a good result. Audio does not matter to me as all my sound goes to a custom audio mixer for my sound system so i don't mind what size speakers are in them.

Again this is my first post so sorry if its been asked a million times. And thanks for any recommendations in advance.

Regards,
    Jamie

2. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Sony 47w805 or if can increase budget 46w905, good for gaming, low input lag

3. jamie evans

jamie evans
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 805 is around my price range. The 905 I would love but it way too expensive.

What do you think about the newer 50w829?

It states a refresh rate of 800Hz which should slightly correct the fact it wont be as good at my 600Hz plasma due to it not being a true 600Hz. It is also slightly cheaper then the 805 abd larger. Not sure why

4. mre15

mre15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    The early reviews of the 50w829 look quite good. That would be my choice for your price point.

5. jamie evans

jamie evans
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 829 does seem better.

The active 3d seems better for me it seems. As it's better for precise images. Plus the Sony glasses are good for me as they will fit over my current glasses which is great.

The only worry I have with the 829 is that its not even on sony's website yet, but I can buy them from a store. Or maybe I just didnt see them on there?

Either way it seems the best option. How close is the refresh rate to actual? I mean the 829 state's 800Hz which is with the motion fixes but that should be at least close to a plasma right?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014