• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

46" No thrills, awesome PQ TV help

email2markt

Standard Member
Hi all,

I'm interested in getting a new TV, i'm looking for something with exceptional picture quality and have been quite tempted by the D7000 and D8000 Samsung range.

But I hate all the clutter, useless functionality, and gimmickery that comes on a lot of new TVs.

I already have a PS3, TiVo and Surround sound system. I DONT want:
- Speakers
- Billions of tuners
- Gimmicky useless settings, anything with plus/image/smart/boost/turbo in the name
- Smart TV apps (another awkward to use device to access lovefilm, iPlayer and some incredibly useless apps)

I just want really good picture quality, simple on/off functionality, aesthetically pleasing.

Is there anything like this out there? 46" £1k+

Thanks in advance!

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Hi all,

I'm interested in getting a new TV, i'm looking for something with exceptional picture quality and have been quite tempted by the D7000 and D8000 Samsung range.

But I hate all the clutter, useless functionality, and gimmickery that comes on a lot of new TVs.

I already have a PS3, TiVo and Surround sound system. I DONT want:
- Speakers
- Billions of tuners
- Gimmicky useless settings, anything with plus/image/smart/boost/turbo in the name
- Smart TV apps (another awkward to use device to access lovefilm, iPlayer and some incredibly useless apps)

I just want really good picture quality, simple on/off functionality, aesthetically pleasing.

Is there anything like this out there? 46" £1k+

Thanks in advance!

....no...

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Sorry couldn't resist, welcome to the forum.:)

All decent sets come with these features now, seems to be what people want. Personally Id rather they invested more in the picture myself.

I have a 46" GT30, one of the best sets this year. If you dont have the budget theres the ST30, it doesnt have the freesat and some other features of the GT but PQ wise its not far off. If you dont want 3D theres also the G30 and S30, both with great PQ.

If you want to go bigger theres the Samsung D6900, blacks arent as deep as the Panasonics and colour reproduction out the box isnt quite as good, but the Samsungs can go brighter with great PQ and you get a bigger set.

All the above sets are in the review section, so Id recommend having a good read and then go see for yourself.

Last edited:

niallec

Standard Member
Yep I'm totally with scooby on that one, any mid to top Panasonic plasma currently available, 3d or not.

if this tv exists, a 46 inch version of the v20 (the 42 inch version has an amazing picture and highly recommended)

I've heard also the recent vt30 is the best tv currently available, for all round stable and natural performance.

if you were to do one better, you should be on the lookout for a pioneer kuro plasma.
Two whole years since its hault in manufacture, the lx5090 and 6090 are still regarded to be in a class of their own, compared to recent plasmas (although recent plasma sets have caught up remarkably and sharpness on the recent Panasonics better the lx kuros slightly.. but not by much!)

Still though, if you're really after the ultimate in viewing pleasure then I'd go on a hunt for the pioneer krp-500a plasma tv as since it's release in late 2008, it still currently remains to be the best flat screen ever made. If there was a tv to oust the 500a it would either be a forthcoming Panasonic professional plasma of the future or an oled tv, also coming in the very near future in large sizes, and is definitely worth waiting for.

Hope this info helps

Thanks

Niall.a

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom