46" + LED £500 budget

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by bobbarley, Feb 12, 2014.

1. bobbarley

bobbarley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Appreciate I'm probably asking a lot given the modest budget. However, looking for an LED television, at least 46", for around the £500 mark.

I use my TV for mainly watching HD content via Sky, Blu-ray Discs and the occasional bit of Xbox 360. I don't watch must sport, mainly just Formula One. I have an amp I connect devices too, so I don't need an abundance of connections, but obviously at least a few hdmi's. I'm not interested in 3D or smart features either.

This caught my eye - LG 47LN540V 47-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD LED TV with Freeview HD/Intelligent Sensor/HDMI Connectivity: Amazon.co.uk: TV

Anyone got any experience of it?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  2. Ossie77

Ossie77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Yeah I had a LN540V for a while. I wouldn't recommend it. Great during the day but with lights dimmed in the evening the contrast was very poor. The letter boxes when watching movies were distinctly grey. I had a Samsung F5000 46" too and that is a much better TV IMO. Nice deep blacks, accurate colours, better contrast. Better TV all round.

3. Ferret

Ferret

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I am looking for pretty much the same thing. Considered the LN540V but it seemed too basic.

Saw the LG 47LN575V for £499 on SonicDirect. LG 47LN575V 47" Full HD 1080p Smart LED TV 100MCI Freeview-HD

Trying to get John Lewis to price match.

Even with the 47LN575V I am wondering if I would be better saving a bit more and getting something with a higher spec and maybe 3D. Never been too keen on TVs that are hard to find reviews for!

4. Ossie77

Ossie77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    I really can't recommend the F5000 high enough. The set is direct lit instead of edge lit so it has very, very good screen uniformity. I have seen (properly...not in a shop)the F5500 and F6320 and the F5000 has better PQ than both. Sure it doesn't have the same connections or functions but that is easily fixed with an hdmi switcher. CNET.com recommend only two Samsung LED's for 2013; the F5000 and the F8000!

I would only recommend LG if you have to have wide viewing angles. All of their TV's have IPS panels which have poor contrast.

5. Ferret

Ferret

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I will definitely have a look at the F5000 as SonicDirect no longer have that LG in stock. Trying to find somewhere that will do it with a 5 year warranty for a under £500 really.

Didn't really consider 46" before was just looking at 47" for some reason!

6. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Richer sounds have a few 46f5000 dotted around. About £520 with 5 year warranty

Availability on website, also London as your profile. Phone in advance to confirm

7. bobbarley

bobbarley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks guys I'll look at the F5000. I do love Samsung and I really don't want either Smart TV, or 3D, so it seems to fit the bill nicely. Light too, perfect for wall mounting.