46" LCD or maybe plasma - need some help

vurt

Standard Member
Hi,

First post here so please go easy on me. I am looking to buy a 46" LCD mainly for xbox360 gaming and hd dvd viewing. There will also be some SD television viewing.

My budget is £800 and for that I want a 3 or 5 year guarantee thrown in. I've considered the Sony 46v4000 and 46w4000 but I can't find them within my budget. Last night I looked at the Sharp LC46X8E and though it was ok although it has a wierd look to it. This was £750 at costco with 5yr warranty. I then have discovered a plasma Panasonic TH46PZ80B for £770 from costco which is very tempting. I'm open to other suggestions and don't mind doing research into them.

Thanks in advance.

Vurt.

mjcairney

Distinguished Member
Hi, first of all, welcome to the Forums.

From a quick Google around, I have to say that the Costco price for the Panasonic is extremely good, considering especially that they include a 5 year guarantee and a 90 day return policy, if I remember correctly.

The only thing is that, as you say that gaming will be one of the main uses for the set, you will need to be careful, especially at the beginning, not to leave fixed images on the screen for too long, as you would possibly run the risk of Image Retention but, if you take reasonable care, it shouldn't really present too much of a problem.

Cheers,

Martin.

vurt

Standard Member
Thanks for the welcome and the reply. I have also found a Samsung LE46A558 for £770 including a 3 year warranty which is tempting me.

I think I may toss a coin to decide.

mjcairney

Distinguished Member
I have to say that, personally, I would have Panasonic over Samsung any day but, obviously, the choice is yours.

Best of luck whichever way you decide to go.

Cheers,

Martin.

oj0

I thoroughly second Martin on this one, Panasonic all the way. The Samsung has been on my list of maybe's for a while but there seems to be so many minor niggles with it I cant help thinking that you'd just be disappointed after spending what is still a decent amount of money.

I will be opting for the Panasonic sometime next week from Costco as *whispers* I can't see them suddenly going out of business any time soon, and therefore the 5 year warranty may hold more water with me.

Remember though, you may need to hire some transport or borrow a friends car/van if you don't drive anything with a large-ish boot so factor that into your cost.

Ben

Last edited by a moderator:

vurt

Standard Member
I went to John Lewis this evening and looked at the panasonic playing Happy Feet on Blu Ray alongside a 4 and 6 series samsung and the sony 46v4000. It was close between the sony and the panasonic but I think the £200 extra for the sony means I'll go panasonic from costco next week.

Is it imperative that you transport the plasma in an upright position? It will just fit in my car but will not be upright for the half hour journey.

Really appreciate your help gents.

Vurt.

PSD

Hi Vurt,

In the packaging you will be fine with in on its side for a bit. The delivery drivers I have used have always bought the TV in upside down e.t.c. I am sure just to annoy. The weight of the glass can cause the screen it crack in theory, but this is more likely if it was laid face down without any protection i.e. packaging.

The 46 inch Panasonic is a bit of a steal at that price, good choice.

Cheers

Paul

mjcairney

Distinguished Member
Is it imperative that you transport the plasma in an upright position? It will just fit in my car but will not be upright for the half hour journey.

Vurt.

I don't know if it's imperative but it is certainly advisable to carry a plasma upright. If I were you, rather than take any chances, I would try to beg, borrow or steal (perhaps even rent :)) a van or the likes to transport it home safely.

Cheers,

Martin.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom