• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

46-50" upgrade from a 42"philips 7404 budget £700/900ish

cejsmith

Standard Member
Hi

I'm thinking of putting our 42" philips into the bedroom and getting a 46/50" replacement for the sitting room.

The replacement should have at least as good a picture as the philips , but with hopefully a less reflective screen

I will be using it with Sky HD and Blue ray, I'm not interested in 3d at the moment I dont want to spend more than £700/900.

Any ideas???

MIW245

The LG always gets great reviews. It's a top seller! Plenty of HDMI to cater for your Blu-Ray and SKY HD. And its at the bottom end of your budget :)

Click HERE

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Perhaps. I recommended this one purely because it's plasma. They don't tend to be as reflective as LCD! :)

Have you seen anything else that has caught your eye?

LG plasmas are very reflective. This is a good set with a filter that helps glare, you'll still get some reflection as its a glass screen, but its better than the LGs and a good price too:Panasonic TX-P42GT20B 42-inch Widescreen 3D Plasma TV: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Tad over the top end of your budget but a cracking set:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-T...YOBY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1305026149&sr=8-2
How brights you room?

cejsmith

Standard Member
LG plasmas are very reflective. This is a good set with a filter that helps glare, you'll still get some reflection as its a glass screen, but its better than the LGs and a good price too:Panasonic TX-P42GT20B 42-inch Widescreen 3D Plasma TV: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Tad over the top end of your budget but a cracking set:Panasonic TX-P42GT30B 42-inch Widescreen 3D Full HD: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
How brights you room?

During the day the room is quite bright, but the problem comes from the fact that we have patio door at the other end of the room which is where we get the reflections from.

Also I'm looking to go up in size to somewhere between 46"/50" so although those Panasonics look great they are to small.

Also is just me or does 3d seem to be a waste of money at the moment. Why can't they still produce good sets without it???

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
During the day the room is quite bright, but the problem comes from the fact that we have patio door at the other end of the room which is where we get the reflections from.

Also I'm looking to go up in size to somewhere between 46"/50" so although those Panasonics look great they are to small.

Also is just me or does 3d seem to be a waste of money at the moment. Why can't they still produce good sets without it???

Sorry yeah forgot you say 46-50:facepalm: hmmm....You could get some blinds on the door:) Its a tricky one, bad timing really as the new sets are just out so prices are high and old stock levels are low if about at all.

There is the LG PX990, it has quite a good filter on it ands one of the top sets of 2010, its a grand though at 50".

I don't think 3Ds worth worrying about at the mo, though all the top 2D performers this year have 3D too, nice to be given a choice:rolleyes:

Last edited:

cejsmith

Standard Member
Sorry yeah forgot you say 46-50:facepalm: hmmm....You could get some blinds on the door:) Its a tricky one, bad timing really as the new sets are just out so prices are high and old stock levels are low if about at all.

There is the LG PX990, it has quite a good filter on it ands one of the top sets of 2010, its a grand though at 50".

I don't think 3Ds worth worrying about at the mo, though all the top 2D performers this year have 3D too, nice to be given a choice:rolleyes:

Grand is a little more than I want to pay , anyother ideas??

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom