45rpm issue on a Pro-ject debut carbon DC

jonno73

Would any turntable experts have any suggestions as to why I’m struggling to play 45rpm records on my Pro-ject turntable, without them sounding too fast?

33rpm works fine. When I manually change the belt under the platter from the small wheel (33) to the larger wheel (45?) I’d expect it to work. However, 45s sound extra sped up i.e. ‘the chipmunk effect’!

The process I follow is straightforward as per this short demo:
The only slight difference I can think of is I’ve had the supplied platter upgraded to the Pro-ject Acrylic platter. (And the supplied 3M red stylus changed to the bronze)

Thanks in advance for any pointers or helpful suggestions.

BT Bob

Have you tried measuring the speed? There's a few good smartphone apps that are pretty reliable (RPM & Whirlometer, for example).

jonno73

Have you tried measuring the speed? There's a few good smartphone apps that are pretty reliable (RPM & Whirlometer, for example).
I haven’t. It was horribly and clearly too fast. Dave Grohl sounded like a chipmunk, so was obviously significantly incorrect as opposed to a more minor listening ‘nuance’!

oscroft

I haven’t. It was horribly and clearly too fast. Dave Grohl sounded like a chipmunk, so was obviously significantly incorrect as opposed to a more minor listening ‘nuance’!
Erm, apologies for the stupid question, but are you sure the Dave Grohl 45 really is a 45?

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
You haven’t got a 33/78 pulley fitted have you? Was this a new or second hand table? As above, check the speed with an app, rpm for turntable (Free version, worked on phone accelerometer) or whirlometer (free app works on video of record label) will give you a clue how far out.

jonno73

You haven’t got a 33/78 pulley fitted have you? Was this a new or second hand table? As above, check the speed with an app, rpm for turntable (Free version, worked on phone accelerometer) or whirlometer (free app works on video of record label) will give you a clue how far out.
New a while back. Just hadn’t tried it in 45 until this weekend.
I’ll run a measure on it and update when I get a chance.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
From that photo, I'd say you have the 33/78 pulley set. Perhaps it was installed by the dealer for demonstration purposes and he forgot to switch it back? Your dealer should be able to supply you with the original 33/45 pulley set that came with the Debut Carbon DC.

jonno73

From that photo, I'd say you have the 33/78 pulley set. Perhaps it was installed by the dealer for demonstration purposes and he forgot to switch it back? Your dealer should be able to supply you with the original 33/45 pulley set that came with the Debut Carbon DC.
Interesting. By photo, do you mean the video?

The video isn’t actually me - it’s one I was using to check I was setting up correctly. However, it does look identical.

My original dealer (Audible Fidelity) is no longer in business, but I do recall it was shipped direct to me from Henley distribution.

It did go more recently to another dealer who changed the stylus and platter for me though. I’ll check in with them and/or Henley, once I’ve took a read of the speed and see what they think.