45nm Cell coming summer.

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Robothamster, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Robothamster

Robothamster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,248
    Wonder if they will drop the price around then too...

2. SHATNERSTACTIC

SHATNERSTACTIC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +590
    Sounds like I should start preparing a listing for my 60gb SKU. Thanks, this is the news I've been waiting for. :smashin:

3. Dave777

Dave777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I am sure they will be coming as my 60Gb has just broken and got to buy a new one now. Normally means a better one will be here just after!!!!

Dave

4. mr_yogi

mr_yogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Can't think for one mement this would make a slim PS3 possible, you would need the RSX to be at 45nm too and even with both of them at 45nm you might well be waiting for 32nm (or whatever the next die shrink is) chips.

5. Workshed

Workshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    A die shrink alone won't make a slim PS3 possible, the cost of slimline blu-ray drives needs to go down (A LOT!), they need to be able to reduce the number of components needed on the motherboard further, etc, etc.

6. Pincho Paxton

Pincho Paxton
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +635
    I think that Sony's intentions to give this news to the public was to tell people about a slim PS3. Otherwise I don't think that they would have thought that the news was important at all.

7. russd1978

russd1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I dont think a 45nm Cell will mean a "Slim" PS3 - will probably shrink to 32nm before they consider that. But it does mean an even cooler running even quieter PS3.

8. cols

cols

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +517
    I agree. I don't think we'll see a slim ps3 until the advent of the ps4, similar to when the slim ps2 came out. I think this'll mean a cheaper ps3 sometime this year.

9. shagaboopon

shagaboopon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    A price drop could be possible if the savings were significant but you do have to factor in the lower yield results they'll achieve initially using the new process. Generally you'd probably expect 3 months for the manufacturing process to mature enough to make the big savings.

If nothing else it is certainly good news for Sony making back some losses until the price drop does arrive.

10. Workshed

Workshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    They didn't specifically tell the public, they were just asked about the move to 45nm in an interview and so they answered. There's no way this means a slim PS3, it will be years away yet.

11. Pincho Paxton

Pincho Paxton
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +635
    Oh OK.. that cleared that up then. :smashin:

12. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,185
    It took five and a half years for the PS One to come out after the Playstation.

It took four and a half years for the slimline PS2 to come out after the "fat" PS2.

I kinda doubt a slim PS3 would come out until next year or maybe Christmas at the earliest :confused:

13. shagaboopon

shagaboopon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    I agree with you but in fairness the other two consoles were in completely different scenarios compared to the competition. That being said, the PS3 doesn't look dated like the other two did when the slim was released.

I think they'll save the slim for the fourth year which is where historically sales start to slow usually (although the 360 is blowing that theory at the moment).

14. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I'm not sure slim is the right term but I'm pretty sure sony are trying to go to a reduced size ps3 with the new 45nm chipsets. I'm pretty sure I've read that in a few places. Size reduced doesn't mean slim its probably going to get a bit smaller and lighter and its possible the psu will go external to make that possible.

Maybe they will make a modification to the specification to aid ps2 emulation. Possibly faster memory to emulate ps2 rambus memory and increased speed of the cell processor but only for ps2 emulation.

Its well known sony want to reduce costs as a no.1 priority but also if possible back ps2 compatibility because they want to get money from selling ps2 titles on psn.

Regarding ps2 it seems that format is now finally dying as viable seperate format so will probably getting less shelf space in shops like gamestation and game. Hopefully there will be a few bargains about. It used to be the budget console choice but now that the 360 has occasionally ventured below £100 thats really become the budget console to own. Gamestation are doing 5 ps2 titles for a tenner now. Some good titles in the mix as well. Same deal basically as the old 4 for a tenner but one more game.

15. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    A slimmer PS3 would do me (and hopefully people will still pay silly money for my 60GB?).

Not sure if its going to happen yet, but repackaging and reduced price could be what the PS3 needs right now. If it looked less like a console and more like a BD/DVD player I think they could shift more as BD players (to Joe Public who want HD for their TV).

I also think one with built in Freeview (Even FreeSat) would be nice, but I doubt there is the demand, but it may make sense to sell it as a PVR/BD Player/Console! No one else can match that.

16. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think 'Slim' versions are only released when the components are cheap enough and normal sales of the larger models start to dry up. They can release a slim model to get sales moving again.

At their current price point, i don't expect a slim PS3 till it hits the £100 mark

17. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    slim models are exponentially cheaper to produce - less materials are wasted on the casing, the chipset runs cool so needs less cooling - smaller heatsinks. they use less power so less powerful psu is required. They can combine certain chips into 1 larger processor that does it all - less production costs, and that applies to producing cpu's and gpu's on a smaller process.

they wont do it when the sales of the ps3 are flagging, they'll do it as soon as they can to start pulling some profit in. the slimline ps2 was introduced at a time when ps2 sales weren't slowing up, thats for sure :p

18. sku11k

sku11k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I wouldnt rush to buy one. But if it gets more people buying ps3 and playing PSN would be great. It needs more support and good exclusive games even if we just got a few a year but awesome titles. i still think my xbox is better for games.Just pray that killzone2 is good :lease:

19. shagaboopon

shagaboopon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    Thats potentially a very good discussion there with your last remark. Will the PS3 ever hit £100 as a normal price point. By normal I mean not a fire sale clear out late in the life, it would be a sustained time at that price. The sheer amount of hardware they squeezed in the console would make it a big achievement if they could ever become profitable at that price.

20. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it could get to £100 but it won't be until maybe 7 years into the life cycle which will be another 5 years or so away. PS2 is still at the £100 mark and 360 is almost there with the arcade

In the near future i don't see price dropping dramatically. Come back to this thread in 2 years time and i bet the PS3 will only be at the £200 mark. (subscribes to this thread so i can check in 2 years time):D

45mn chips in the summer will allow them to usher a price drop this christmas. I don't think we'll get one in April like rumored

Don't i sound like Michael Patcher :devil:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2009
  21. shagaboopon

shagaboopon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    No some of what you say sounds sensible:D

22. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Personally I think this coming christmas a solus ps3 will be available discounted for £199. The RRP will probably be £219 approx and it will be a newer cost reduced 45nm based model. If they can't start selling them in bigger numbers this year I think sony is in trouble with the ps3. Newer Nintendo and Microsoft models may be available Christmas 2010 or early 2011. Besides blu-ray players are expected to get to about $150 or less stateside this year. 2010 will probably mean sub £100 blu-ray players in the uk. At this point really the ps3 should be selling more than the 360 anyway but obviously Microsoft is prepared to massively subsidise their models just to get them into people's homes. People forget that with the huge repair overheads each 360 costs more than the ps3 its only that Microsoft makes huge sums from other divisions that they can subsidise the 360 the way they do. Its not just building the console its licensing and providing warranty. RROD and optical drive replacements have not been cheap for Microsoft. They wrote off 1.2 billion approx for earlier repair costs and there is still a huge number of later 360s failing. Only the new Jasper based models will finally get the 360 to normal PCB reliability levels but even the jasper is still running its optical drive at about 12x DVD speed which creates excessive wear and tear as well as noise. Budget 360s without harddrives are going to still suffer high optical drive failure.

Anyway the point is this is a make or break year for ps3. It really needs to move ahead of 360 by the beginning of 2010. Personally I'm expecting a £199 bundle of ps3 with a game or two for christmas and be widely available.

23. shagaboopon

shagaboopon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    There will be a PS3 pricecut sometime this year, there is no doubt there. At the moment the console has lost all the momentum it had for two thirds of last year so it needs a fightback. This cost cutting is the start they need so they're ready come the holiday period to do what Microsoft did last year. I'd be surprised if Sony could afford 2 pricecuts this year so they need to make it count when it does come.

24. Chrisoldinho

Chrisoldinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Good post, one thing I personally think though is that due to the cost of the RROD and other issues on the 360 a new console won't emerge until 2011-2012. MS Spent $50m on a redesigned NXE so I cannot see why they would want to change the console just 18-24 months after spending this kind of money.

25. Tigerblade

Tigerblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +590
    Your joking aren't you? Flame bait if ever I saw it.

Are 18 million + PS3 users not enough for you to play on PSN? :rotfl: I'll just ignore the other silly comments :suicide:

26. Mickus

Mickus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    I think the value of the Yen will have more of an impact on price than moving to 45nm Cell. (IMO)

27. mr_yogi

mr_yogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Just remember that the move to 45nm is proobably not (initally at least) a massive cost saving, it could even be more expensive to produce 45nm chips before the process matures.

The smaller process will be more expensive and will likely have lower yeilds than the more mature 65nm process.

Obviously over time the new processes' yeilds should pick up and thus be cheaper as you get more chips per wafer, but at it's inception they may not be much in it, meaning there may not be much for Sony to pass onto it's customers.

28. shagaboopon

shagaboopon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    Check post 9 in the thread ;)

29. _Sion

_Sion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    When you switch platforms for chip manufacture there is a huge initial cost, due to re-tooling, re-engineering, etc.

However, the issue of lower yields will not dramatically increase the cost of the new processors. This is because although you'll get a lower % of grade A chips from a run because of the reduction in size you'll get more chips per wafer/run. This generally equals out so that a reduction in processor size means you still get the same number of grade A chips per run/wafer.

If Sony can sell their grade B and C chips to other Cell users at a discount (like AMD and Intel do) then they will probably make more money per run/wafer at 45nm than they did at 65nm.

30. Workshed

Workshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146

They probably don't even require the Cell CPUs that go in the PS3 to be grade A. IIRC they allow one failed SPU per CPU? So they could be making use of the vast majority of the die's produced in each wafer anyway.