45"Sharp or 42"Sony LCD ??

P

petofi

Need help here.
Basically, I know that Sharp (some say Philips) leads the field in lcd tvs.
I've checked out the picture quality and it's lovely. Two things have made me decide in favour of the Sharps over the Philips: one, I don't like the 'look' of the Philips, and 2) I like the three year warranty of the Sharps.

However (deep breath...) when I originally started on this quest for
a 'showcase', theater-like tv, I decided that for these muchos bucks,
the tv had to be more than furniture. In fact, it had to dazzle on the wall
as an ornate decoration.

So, finally, my problem: I find that, aesthetically, the Sony 42mrx1 is head and shoulders above all the other tvs. However, how good is the tv technically? Am I way over-paying for the looks AND short-changing myself
on the techs?

I'm eager to hear your weighted arguments on this comparison of Sharp and Sony...

petofi said:
when I originally started on this quest for
a 'showcase', theater-like tv, I decided that for these muchos bucks,
the tv had to be more than furniture. In fact, it had to dazzle on the wall
as an ornate decoration.

Ever thought of a projector ? You could get an electric screen that would retract into the ceiling leaving no question about the asthetics of the screen because you wont see it.

If you got the money, probably the sony, wega engine is just incredibly good, it gives a softer but more nature like image (especially next to the very, maybe even too, detailed philips). Which sharp are you planning on though, cause i kinda like their styling and the durability of the screen should be very good. Tough decision...how hard to be in your shoes :D

Have you actually seen the 45" Sharp in action? Few people have, but it is supposed to be the bee's knees'

I've seen both the Sony and Sharp in action, and the Sony isn't mutton dressed as lamb, that's for sure...which is better out of the two on PQ is a tough call - they are both easily the two best LCD pictures I've ever seen.

All I'd say is...if youve seen the sets in real life to judge aesthetics (and neither, especially the Sharp, looks particularly like the brochure photos), then what did you think yourself of the picture on display?

And Sony are bringing out brand new LCDs in the next 3 or 4 months, which may well be worth waiting for (for quality and price jumps - in good directions). I fear though that all that gorgeous glass and design may be in for a change...lets hope not - have you seen the MRX1s without the speakers attached? Wow! I finally understood the floating glass thing!! But if you wait, then you'll have the pick of the end-of-line prices too...

PS I think the Sharp's look rather fetching too (not as good as those Sony's, but not much else is)

In the absence of any other deciding factor I'd have thought the fact that the Sharp has a resolution of 1920x1080 compared to the Sony's 1366x768 ought to swing that one. The Sharp should look simply incredible with a 1080i feed being displayed at native resolution rather than downscaled.

Thanks for the feedback, guys, and I'm looking forward to some more.
To clear up the question of which Sony: yes, it's the 42mrx1 (I think, though
I always confuse these numbers!).
I've seen the new 45"Sharp and it is the "bees knees". I'd probably prefer it
without the speaker attached...and the other 'aesthetic' problem is those
heavy wires running to the tuner box. Not nice. Don't really know how to solve THAT problem should I decide on the Sharp...

Oh, and to answer Llanowar...my tone might suggest 'money-no-object'...but actually,
this is a steep slice out of my pocket.
But you know, at age 57, I ain't waiting...

Nicholoas: I understand the resolution factor but how often does that come into
play off the television feeds at present?

Nicholas B:

There is no 'absence of other factor'--it's those bloody wires to the tuner
box that bug me.

There's one massive draw back with the Sony.

It's not HD Ready !

If it's "flag ship" you're after why not wait a few months and take a look at the forthcoming Sony Qualia 45" LCD. It should be interesting to see that one go up against the Sharp !

BTW: You will need the extra time to save up. It ain't going to be cheap.

petofi said:
I understand the resolution factor but how often does that come into play off the television feeds at present?
Never. But frankly, I can't see why you'd want to buy either of those screens if you don't care about high definition.

Fellas,
There is something seriously wrong with this world. Checking the American
prices on Sharp's LC-45GD6U AQUOS (which must be equal to the European version..)
yet the prices quoted are 5-6,000USD!!! That's about 2-3,000USD LESS than
the prices I've been seeing this side of the pond.

What gives??

$1 = £1

It's the unwritten exchange rate of consumer electronics.

Always has been. More than likely, it always will !

Life's a bitch, ain't it ?

Shucks, I don't know how you knowleadgeable cats put up with us newbies: I just discovered that BOTH the Sony and the Sharp have external tuners, hence the cable
problem exists for both. You fellas must've wondered what I was on about...

Having just about decided on the Sharp (wifey weighed in, plus that HD comment pulled its own weight)..I started noticing that from close up, the 45" Sharp pixilated
dramatically (yes, I know I won't sit that close-) while the 37" Sharp did not.
Can anyone answer that riddle for me?
I may be dipping down to the smaller one for that very reason though I'm going to lose
the 'cinematic feel' of the bigger screen.
Am I crazy or is the smaller screen a better picture?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom