1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

45 min footie half long enough for burnin?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Hitby, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Hitby

Hitby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    Evening all,

Been lurking for a while and am getting me shiny new LG PX11 delivered tomorrow morning. I watch a load of footie and am somewhat worried about the score DOG on sky sports - could this damage my screen from watching a game or two or will it be ok?

BTW: I'M SO EXCITED!!!

Cheers

Hitby

Come on the Boro!

2. Tomo1971

Tomo1971
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Im no expert, it seems that the more experienced members will say that you should turn down all the contrast and brightness settings to as far down as you can stand them for the first few weeks of viewing and try not to leave static images on screen for too long.

I have a pio435 which will retain images (cbeebies logo) for a while but so far they seem to of dissapeared the next day but different screens react differently than others with screen burn/retention.

You would think that will the all the new technology that we are buying to enhance our TV experience that the broadcasters would use scrolling logos on there broadcasts. For example the MTV logo......... maybe scroll it slowly from side to another over a period of say 10 mins, we would hardly notice it!

How much would that cost to do, nothing!

Thinks we should all start emailing them now..........

Steve

3. Hitby

Hitby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    surely they could be made transparent somewhat, they get to keep em and we don't have to worry about em!

Dan

4. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    The general rule of thumb for most new plasmas is to turn the contrast/brightness right down for the first 200 hours. Also, turn off any "dynamic" or "auto-brightness" modes. The screen will be pretty dim viewing during that time but it gives it a chance to bed-in and minimises chances of burn-in.
    You may see some image-retention in the early days of your new plasma. That's "normal" and will disappear as long as you keep the screen busy - steer clear of channels that have a lot of high-contrast, static imagery (such as Sky News etc) and play stuff that fills in the screen and has lots of moving parts. Be wary of widescreen bars (that you get on some films/DVDs) because although they are black, they can also cause image-retention (and subsequently burn-in). Maybe also get into the habit of turning off the display if you're going to leave Sky+ or a DVD paused?

To be honest, you'd have to be going some to get burn-in but it pays to be careful with what you watch in the plasma's first few weeks, just to be safe.

Oh, and come on Boro (a draw will do fine!)

5. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I watch a lot of footy and never had a problem with the on screen score burning in.

John

6. Hitby

Hitby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    Good advice indeed, thanks very much!
    One more question, if I have the 'orbiter' function of my screen switched on do I still need to worry?

Cheers

Dan

7. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Ive had my Viera for 3 weeks now and have set contrast ect to what I think is normall viewing ie havnt turned em low. Ive watched DVDs in dynamic mode and watch alot of footy, I have TV set to Normal when Im watching TV and havnt seen any screen retention what so ever.

The shop where I bought TV from had LOTR menu on a 50" viera all day and that had no screen retention either.

I wouldnt worry personelly just get it and enjoy