1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

45 is NOT bigger than 50

Discussion in 'TVs' started by digitize, Mar 13, 2005.

1. digitize

digitize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find it a little amusing reading the problems about the new Sagem45 in various threads here in AVForums. I own the 50-inch Sagem, and I have not experienced any similar problems at all...

I have paid a visit to Comet a couple of times now, and I have seen that the PQ of the Sagem45 is not as good as the Sagem50. For example, I have seen how the shiny piano black design is complimented by a frostry screen (look closer and this is obvious).

A lot of people have deplored Sagem for its design of the Sagem50 - that it is not HDCP-compliant, that it is not really HD-ready, etc, blah, blah, blah...

I don't think this is justified because the design and production was way before the requirement for HDCP was announced by EICTA... While it's true that some customers complain about the 50's lack of HDCP support, there are many others who don't - and that is simply because the Sagem50 offers a spectacular and amazing viewing experience and excellent PQ, by just using standard sources (DVD and ana/digi feeds).

If we have to criticize Sagem, we do it because they've come up with a follow-up DLP product which is not an improvement of the original 50-inch model... IMO, this isn't right. Aside from that, it is smaller in size, and just as expensive, too.

Maybe one can say that the Sagem45 supports HDCP while the 50-inch does not, but isn't it true that screensize, cost, and PQ are still the dominant factors that affect the customer's buying decisions?

technology works this way - immitate, integrate, innovate...

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,510
    As the HD45 is HDCP and the technology is in place on this set, why cant they do a cost upgrade for the HD50? Seems a little daft.

3. philip41

philip41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And also why give the HD45 that poxy Anti-Reflective screen.

4. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Digitize i thought you were mad going for the Sagem50 instead of the 45"
    i was wrong & i apologise.
    If the Sagem 45" i saw in Comet was typical & did not have any faults you will probably get a better picture on your 50" watching standard television than the Sagem 45" owners will watching Sky hidef in 2006

5. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Sagem did not make the HD50, they bought it badged from Optoma USA, presumably that contract is now over. The HD45 will be completely different from the HD50 as Sagem did design it, and it is their first design attampt.

6. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    No, that's because they don't know about it yet. Give it some time.

7. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,510
    I feel you are right Mrmoo, people are soon going to find out that sky HD wont be possible on the Sagem 50 and I dear say they wont be very happy.

As they say 'The sh*t is gonna hit the fan'

:rolleyes:

8. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If Sagem50 owners do not get a HDCP fix they will just be a small part of a much larger group in the same fix how many plasma's bought in 2004 2005 are HD ready.

9. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I don't think Sky will be able to use HDCP at launch or for a while after. Very few people will have this capability.

My guess is it will need to work over component with Macrovision (as per the Sky Boxoffice channels).

10. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Any digital output showing a film wiill have to have HDCP, the film copyright owners will insist on it

11. Phill1978

Phill1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    totally agree. common sense for them to do that. digital is here but millions of people wont exchange their sets just for one connection. i belive higher quality (progressive, maybe 720p) via component with one key feature LESS cOMPRESSION ! will be so clear compared to the broadcasts we have now that only 2nd or maybe even 3rd gen will have HDMI socket. sure slightly better picture but most sets (plasma / LCD ) upsample and deinterlace well anyway. id be happy with 720p component video into a DLP with upscaling to 1080 or higher and so would you as it would still look the same if not better than DVD people think that is acceptable and very good (just because they were told it was good hehe) anyways.. thats my 2 pence.

12. sprattgraham

sprattgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
  13. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Sprat to catch a mackerel. They'll happily sell you the HD set, you may even get a few good programs on component, for a while. Then they'll switch to protected content, they’ve done it before. I’ve been with them since they turned on their first transponder, its nothing new. They did the same thing to analogue receivers. They did them same thing for special events on Sky One, switched them to Box Office after a while.

Off course they want protected content.
    HDCP is coming, stop kidding yourself.

14. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,510
    I remember back in the old days when sky charged you double subscription for 2 boxes. Worked out to around £60. I ended up buying a card splitter, which worked for 9 months although it had a habit of scrambling every 2-3 days and needed a 2 minute reset, for it to work. The amount of times I taped a film and it would scramble half way through, not a great experience.

Anyway after the 9 months sky changed their method of decryption and new cards were issued, so I sent the card splitter back for an upgrade. It returned and 3 months later both of my decoder boxes (£400 each) blew up. I wasn't pleased.

15. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have to agree with you i'd like hidef tv but i don't want to pay through the nose for it. The best broadcast TV has very good quality now & if they got rid of some of the rubbish channels & increased the bandwidth for the rest that would keep me happy untill BBC start their high definition broadcasts.

16. digitize

digitize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the Sagem50 is indeed a re-badged Optoma, then surely a fix is possible, in the same way as they did in the U.S. Also IMO, it will be in the best interests of Sky (and Comet? and Sagem?) to find a solution, so as to attract more Hi-Def subscribers.

Sagem50 owners who want Hi-Def should not lose hope. The important thing is it gives superb PQ with standard sources - HD will just be an added bonus, and a distinct possibility.

Personally, I think Hi-Def will never sweep the UK market, the way some has been telling. And what's happening with the dispute of standards between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

17. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    That's it stay positive. :clap:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196521

HDTV is an added bonus?? :suicide:

18. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,510
    Digitize

Personally, I think Hi-Def will sweep the UK market, the way some has been telling.

Thats what people thought about DVD's

19. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    digitize, the uk Optima RD50 is a much newer design and completely different from the sagem HD50, using a different chip-set they dont share the same electronics at all unfortunately.

20. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris the point is the SagemHD 50 & the American Optama RD50 are the same AFAIK & there is a fix for the American RD50 HDCP problem

21. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    ah, I see what you mean now, maybe Optoma won't sell it to Sagem? :devil:

22. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    More likely that when Sagem say it is technically not possible there is a mistake in the translation from the original French & it should read not financially possible

23. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,510
    I remember at the av show in hammersmith sagem and optoma stands were right next to each other and the Optoma staff were poo, pooing the HD-50 saying it had the older technology and that their set was far better. They were slagging off the sagem for lack of HDCP. To top it all off they evan said that the Optoma was NTSC compatible, what a bunch of muppets.... I personaly thought the Sagem looked excellent in the picture stakes and it has the same cabinet as the RD50. Now I find out that it is an older version of an Optoma set. So basically they were slagging of their own set..... :)

24. digitize

digitize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is just a matter of opinion. But I think that's completely irrelevant and they're different things - DVD is a AV source/media, whereas HiDef is improved PQ/resolution.

Nobody has mentioned the format war - HD-DVD vs Blue-Ray. Isn't this one reason why HiDef will have difficulty capturing the market?

25. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everything will be high def in 10 years or a lot sooner, the only question is how long is it going to take for the majority of British households to be watching hidef.
    If you want to make any bets i'll act as stakeholder for you, just PM me & i'll forward details of where to donate no no i mean send the money :smashin:

26. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Careful Lion, your showing your age now.... 405 line indeed.... you'll be telling us next that they were recorded in Black & White! ;)

27. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    yeah, right.

28. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,510

Sorry Ignore that coment the 'NEVER' wasnt ment to be there, I have corrected my orignal. HD is the only way forward...... Remind me not to post comments first thing in the morning.

Lion

Steptoe in HD along with the original black and white Corrie....

29. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've watched a couple of old black & white films from the early 60's & the quality was ok no worse than CRT telly. And Steptoe & Son can't look any worse than when it was first broadcast on the old sets