44in LG DLP dodgy picture?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by mickpjb, Mar 28, 2006.

1. mickpjb

mickpjb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently purchased the 44in LG DLP 44sz8r for £999.00 and now notice its come down to £799.00!

Anyway while watching this TV I sometimes feel disorientated when the piture moves accross the screen (football matches etc and some credits) and wondered if anyone else has had this effect?

Over all the picture is ok, however Sky could be better! the only problem with a large screen is that any imperfections are magnified!

2. arfster

arfster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Wowee - £800 for a 44" is fantastic. With the CURRYS50 discount code, and ordered via an Egg VISA, that brings it down to £710.

Anyway, sounds like rainbows you're seeing. What source are you using? Do you get it on all of them?

3. mickpjb

mickpjb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not the rainbow effect, just seems distorted?

4. Kidwhizz

Kidwhizz
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just checked the Currys website and the price indicates that Currys are stopping this line (£798 for the 44" and £1298 for the 52"), don't know whether LG are discontinuing this model or if they have just had poor sales - the picture quality is not as good as the other DLPs on offer.

5. arfster

arfster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Might just be a general price drop - a lot of DLPs have dropped in price recently, and the LG has been at £1000 for a good while.

Anyway, I had one of these before my Sagem. Picture quality is pretty good on it though, there's not a great deal between it and the Samsung L6. It's also got a good deal better contrast than the Sony (although the Sony is better in some other regards). Given that these latter two are £1200ish models, and the LG can now be had for £710 as above, it's still a good deal imo.

6. arfster

arfster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Hrrrm, could be a vsync problem perhaps - does it seem as if the top half of the picture is a few pixels to the right of the bottom for short periods of time? This is kinda hard to distinguish, but it is very noticeable in quick pans, as you'd see in football.

Unusual to get that outside the HTPC world though. What sources and connection methods have you tried?

7. mickpjb

mickpjb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Current connections are Sky through Scart and DVD via HDMI.

My wife says she never notices it, maybe I am going mad!

A good example of the problem, I was watching the Simpsons and there was a scene where the shot moves slowly down a street and I found the movement disorientating and the names above the shops where had to focus on and read.

Before anyone asks I have recently had an eye test!

It's a shame as the LG is a nice looking set and fits in the room nicely!

8. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Yes, £798 is a good price for the LG 44-inch. And with that discount code applied who can complain ?!

Anyway, before you all rush out & buy one I think that it's possible that these LG models are being discontinued.

It has disappeared from a few e-tailer sites & just having a look at Currys website now it was there yesterday but isn't there today - both the 44" & 52" have gone.

Well so much for putting off buying the LG - it appears to be unavailable now :(